Author Topic: macOS: Starting SlickEdit from command line does not return to shell prompt  (Read 1945 times)

jkwuc89

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
My usual workflow involves starting SlickEdit from a bash shell prompt inside a macOS terminal.

When I use
Code: [Select]
/Applications/SlickEditPro2017.app/Contents/MacOS/vs to do this and SlickEdit is not already running, the bash shell is stuck in a waiting state until I quit SlickEdit because it is launched as a foreground process.

When I use
open -a SlickEditPro2017.app to do this, I get the desired behavior. SlickEdit is launched and control returns to the bash shell. Unfortunately, using this method does not allow me start SlickEdit with a new file that does not exist.

I would like to see
/Applications/SlickEditPro2017.app/Contents/MacOS/vs changed so that it launches SlickEdit as a background process and returns control to the bash prompt. Other editors like Visual Studio Code offer a command line launch command that do exactly this.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
Re: macOS: Starting SlickEdit from command line does not return to shell prompt
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 02:24:16 PM »
The following will allow you to specify args:

open -a SlickEditPro2017.app --args newfile.cpp

A script for starting SlickEdit in the background would be handy. I've trained myself to put the & at the end but it seems like a script would be better. Especially since it's not needed on Windows.

jkwuc89

• Hero Points: 6
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 02:37:38 PM »
The
--args filename works if SlickEdit is not running.

When SlickEdit is already running,
--args filename is ignored. A new file is not opened in a new edit buffer and an existing file is not opened in an edit buffer.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 03:21:37 PM »
Interesting. I didn't realize that.