Author Topic: Context Help disappears when clicking left or right arrow  (Read 2308 times)

dglasser

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Context Help disappears when clicking left or right arrow
« on: September 08, 2017, 05:49:29 PM »
SlickEdit version: SlickEdit Pro 2016 (v21.0.3.0 64-bit)
Language: Java

When I type a method name, then the opening paren, a small window pops up (slowly) showing the method signature, and the Javadoc comment, if there was one. This was always a killer feature in my previous version. (2007 IIRC.) When the method is overloaded and there are multiple implementations, it says "1 of (n)" with a small arrow on either side to cycle forward or backward through the various method signatures. In my previous version, this worked beautifully, but in my current version, the window disappears when either arrow is clicked. This is annoying to no end and is really hampering my productivity. Is this a known issue? Is there a way to fix it? I tried rebuilding slickc.vtg -- no joy.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 528
Re: Context Help disappears when clicking left or right arrow
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 06:59:56 PM »
Try opening the sample Java project (Project>All Workspaces>Sample Workspaces>java.vpw). Then inside the main function, go to line 71 and type a parenthesis after "f1.method". Does this work for you?

dglasser

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 08:00:41 PM »
Try opening the sample Java project (Project>All Workspaces>Sample Workspaces>java.vpw). Then inside the main function, go to line 71 and type a parenthesis after "f1.method". Does this work for you?

Same result, unfortunately, when clicking the arrow buttons. However, from the comments above that line, I learned that I can use Ctrl+PgUp/Ctrl+PgDn to cycle through the overloads, and that, much to my delight, works.

And I also learned that feature is called "Auto Parameter Info". I've been relying on it since I began using SlickEdit in 1999 and never knew what it was called.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 08:02:47 PM »
Which platform (Linux or Windows)?

You can also hit Alt+, repeatedly while in function parameter information to cycle through the list of prototypes.  Great way to keep your fingers on the keyboard and easy to remember since Alt+, is the key combo to invoke function parameter info on demand.

dglasser

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 08:26:35 PM »
It's Windows, and the Alt+, works to cycle through the overloads, but it's noticeably more sluggish than using Ctrl-PgUp/Dn.

Also I noticed that Alt+, brings up a dropdown list of possible values for an argument, which is probably why it's sluggish. But, for a String argument, if I have this in my file:

Code: [Select]
private final static String ACCOUNTS_URL = MANAGEMENT_API_URL + "/accounts";
Then the corresponding item in the list is:

java.ACCOUNTS_URL

And that's what's inserted if I select it. It's not compileable until I remove the "java." prefix.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 08:54:49 PM »
Good catch.  This will be fixed in v22.