Author Topic: Auto quick flash-to-match or highlight for matching pairs () {} [] ?!  (Read 2514 times)

jwiede

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 12
I swear SE used to support functionality where when user moved cursor adjacent to block-scope character ( () {} [] etc), for a moment either the cursor would flash to the matching scope entity (as if user hit ctrl-] twice, but automatically) or briefly highlight the range of code between the pair.  Essentially upon the cursor reaching adjacent to either of the scoping pair chars, it would act the same as if ctrl-] had been pressed, and do whatever the editor prefs said to do in that circumstance.  However, I cannot currently find any easy pref to enable SE to do the same functionality today (in v21 or v22b2 or v22b3).

Please consider adding (or re-adding, if it was removed) this functionality, as it is quite useful for quick visual reinforcement of scoping.  The problem with having to hit ctrl-] is that when mousing it requires switching to keyboard, as finding and executing the corresponding menu operation twice is anything but convenient ("click for menu, scroll down search menu nearly to (but not at) bottom" x2).

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: Auto quick flash-to-match or highlight for matching pairs () {} [] ?!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 12:22:30 AM »
I think you're thinking of the "Parenthesis matching style" option (Tools>Options>Editing>General>Parenthesis matching style). When it's set to "Cursor to beginning parenthesis" it temporarily moves the cursor when you type the close parenthesis. The "Highlight" option temporarily highlights when you type the close parenthesis.

jwiede

• Hero Points: 12
Re: Auto quick flash-to-match or highlight for matching pairs () {} [] ?!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 02:31:24 AM »
Sounds right, but I could swear it used to be possible to trigger the same outcome by placing the cursor adjacent to the character.  It's possible I'm mixing up memories of VisualStudio or CLion and SE, because I know VS does that, but as I said, I really thought there was a time when SE did it as well.

In any case, I do think there is value to having the effect/action trigger any time the cursor is moved adjacent to such paired scoping characters.