Author Topic: beta3: old find dialog  (Read 4238 times)

ExtDan123

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
beta3: old find dialog
« on: September 13, 2017, 09:26:58 PM »
I don't care for the new mini-find, because it robs me of the "list all occurrences" option, so I'm trying to find the right action to which to re-bind Control+F.  I thought it would be find-in-current-buffer, but that starts the dialog set to the Find in Files tab.  The find-in-files appears to do the same thing.

Should not find-in-current-buffer start the dialog in the Find tab, and find-in-files start the dialog in the Find in Files tab?

Marcel

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 26
Re: beta3: old find dialog
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 10:11:13 PM »
Doesn't tools->options->editing->search->Default find and replace gui = tool window work for you?

ExtDan123

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:15:48 PM »
Ahhh - you're right, I missed that one.

Apologies for crying wolf.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 01:07:11 AM »
No way we ever remove the big find tool window. Tons a users really like it. The mini-find is mostly for new users.

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 12:59:34 PM »
Most all of the options available in the Tool Find window are also in the Mini Find, including list all occurrences.  There is a utility menu with a larger list of options on a dropdown button next to the find-next/find-prev, and the many of those options have keyboard-shortcuts so that it doesn't require navigating to the menu.  For example, list all occurrences to Search Results <0> is bound to Alt+0.  The larger tool window will always be there to too, so it is your preference to what you like.

ExtDan123

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 01:46:57 PM »
Yes, I saw that, and had been using the Alt+0.  But having been a SlickEdit customer for many years now, I'm already attuned to using the fully featured Find, and inserting an extra step felt clunky enough that I took to the key bindings.  Anyway, I'm happy now, thanks!

joecar

• Hero Points: 9
  • engineer/gearhead
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 07:01:11 PM »
suggestion: add a button (or something) on the both to switch between the two

( i.e. without having to go down into Options to switch )

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 07:11:10 PM »
With Mini Find, you use the Find key binding command again and it will automatically switch to Tool Find.  There isn't quite the same reciprocal in the Tool window since the bindings are tied to switching the tabs between Find/Replace, but you switch back to Mini-find with a right-click context menu and use Switch to Mini Find.  But could possibly add another button there in the future.

joecar

• engineer/gearhead
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 10:30:20 PM »
ok, I'll try that (ctrl-F from Mini Find, rightclick->Switch to Mini Find from full find).

joecar

• engineer/gearhead
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 10:36:57 PM »
On the Mini Find toolbar, I have to do ->Find All-><Auto Increment>

since I have to go thru that motion every time, I'm not sure I like that it does not stick...

( or, am I doing it all wrong...? )

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 12:53:47 PM »
For the Mini Find, there isn't technically a sticky setting for <Auto Increment> or any search result destination.  But, if you use Alt+L, it will list all occurrences using the last search result selection.  So if you run Find All > Auto-Increment once, you can use Alt+L next time and it will use it Auto-Increment again.  Same if you select Search Results <0>-<n>.  Though in couble-checking I see that last setting isn't propagated Tool Find when you switch, so I will need to address that.