Author Topic: Search never ends  (Read 1521 times)

ChuckInDodgeville

  • Community Member
  • Posts: 25
  • Hero Points: 1
Search never ends
« on: September 14, 2017, 08:42:17 pm »
I have a situation now where a search never ends.  At least, I'm giving up after 10 minutes.
I'm not certain how I got here.  I'm going to restart and see if it happens again.

ChuckInDodgeville

  • Community Member
  • Posts: 25
  • Hero Points: 1
Re: Search never ends
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 08:47:06 pm »
After killing SE and restarting, ctrl+. says "no matching symbols found".  I'm having it regenerate the tag file.

ChuckInDodgeville

  • Community Member
  • Posts: 25
  • Hero Points: 1
Re: Search never ends
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 08:51:22 pm »
Seems like the file got removed from the project.  Could that have happened in those initial cases where the search was hung?  I added it to the project and the search found it.  But it doesn't explain why I had the search that wasn't ended after 10 minutes.

Dennis

  • SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2960
  • Hero Points: 440
Re: Search never ends
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 02:40:30 pm »
What kind of a search are you referring to here?  Ctrl+Dot (push-tag), Ctrl+/ (references), a traditional text search (single file, regex, multi-file?), or Find Symbol tool window?  Sample source is helpful if it was a tagging issue.

Also, if you killed your editor, you could have left the tag files in a corrupt state, I would recommend rebuilding the workspace tag file from scratch (Project > Rebuild Tag File...)

ChuckInDodgeville

  • Community Member
  • Posts: 25
  • Hero Points: 1
Re: Search never ends
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 03:17:26 pm »
The real initial problem happened before I killed the program.  I don't think that the project was corrupt, at least not by that shutdown.  I later understood how I removed the files in question.  I was using "control ." to look for a function that was previously in the 9500 file index, but not now in the index as I had removed the source file from the project.
I just tried to duplicate this and failed.  It behaved correctly.  So I think we have to write this off as background info unless we see it again.

I'm testing 22 here while I otherwise use SE 17.  I've noted in another post that it seems much more likely for me to get a busy cursor in response to an index search than in 17.  I've been advised to move to an SSD, but that's not in the immediate plan.  This was just the worst example of that long search.  I think all of these long searches happen before the index is complete.  Maybe that's all of it.