Author Topic: gz File Reading  (Read 7408 times)

acg

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: gz File Reading
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 04:19:27 AM »
WinZip is installed and associated to .gz.

acg

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 04:24:38 AM »
Also, if I turn off "Decompress .gz files on open" in v22, it opens in Hex mode.

If I select "Save as new file" rather than "Create the file", nothing happens.  "Create the file" gives the file not found error.  What if the exploded file were put in the directory with the .gz rather than under it?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 11:58:36 AM »
No effect for me. Some of the test cases I did, I already had the file decompressed in the same directory as the .gz file.

At least we know the "Decompress .gz files on open" option is taking effect.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 02:16:15 PM »
There has got to be something different about the configuration of your machines.

mwb1100

• Hero Points: 13
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2017, 05:20:52 PM »
Could it an antivirus program or similar interfering? I'm not sure why an AV would block access to .gz files, but the behavior kind of sounds like the random problems that can occur when an AV decides it doesn't like something: just cause a failure without any notice about why or that the AV is involved at all.

If this was happening on Linux I'd suggest using strace to figure out why the failure is occurring (or at least whether or not it's happening at the system level). But the closest thing to that on Windows I can think of is the SysInternals procmon utility, and it didn't play well on my computer the last time I tried so I'm not sure I can suggest it.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 05:39:00 PM »
Good points. I'm pretty sure he's on Windows.