Author Topic: SlickEdit Help: Help-->"Keys Help" sync w/Help Contents does not work  (Read 3541 times)

mjdl

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 18
  • SE Pro 2023 v28.0.1.0 64-bit Qt5 Win 11 23H2
SE 2017 x64 RC2, CUA emulation, Windows 7 SP1 x64:
Use Help-->"Keys Help". SlickEdit Help opens with correct page, Contents pane not expanded nor synchronized.
Use Go-->"Sync with Table of Contents". Status line message: "Could not find the associated content item"
Use search pane with words "CUA Keys". Finds "Emulation Tables" as first link. Click link, same page opens as with the SE Help menu item, but with the page's header "Emulation Tables" visible. Use Go-->"Sync with Table of Contents" a second time, and it synchronizes the Contents Table pane correctly. Other results in the search pane also synchronize the Help Contents pane correctly. Diagnosis: bad link in the main application's Help menu?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: SlickEdit Help: Help-->"Keys Help" sync w/Help Contents does not work
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 03:47:45 PM »
The Qt help system synchronication feature mostly doesn't work at all as you've noticed. We've been unable to come up with a work around.

mjdl

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 02:10:07 AM »
OK, thanks for the info--sometimes the sync does work, so I ascribed to a possible fit-and-finish issue. But if the Qt framework itself is at fault, the fix is not in your court.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 02:14:56 AM »
We're pretty sure it's a Qt problem. We've made some patches to fix some crashes in the Qt help system. I suspect this one is a bit much for us to fix. We would love to figure out a work around though. It doesn't look good though.

mjdl

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 02:36:19 AM »
I suppose since SlickEdit appears to be using Qt older version 4.8.7.0 (surely heavily bashed about to support all the platforms SE runs on), that there is no real fix for such issues from the Qt side. And I imagine moving SE to a current version of Qt might be a massive project...

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 02:42:18 AM »
We are thinking about moving to Qt 5. It is a massive project. Too bad Qt changed a ton of APIs. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be hard.

mjdl

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 02:55:08 AM »
Well, the older version does work (even Qt help!), you have its source code presumably, so maybe leave any change as a low priority item. Anyway, thanks for the discussion.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 02:42:36 PM »
I know nothing about Qt ... but can you move to QT5 help, but keep qt4 in slickedit?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 02:44:59 PM »
Not really. We would have to also distribute Qt5 libraries. Not to mention, this would a pain for our source code management here.

It's likely Qt5 won't fix this problem.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 03:07:08 PM »
(Not especially helpful I know, but...) there must be something wrong with how the slick help file is built - as other QtAssistant help files I've used do not have this problem. Probably there are QtAssistant bugs, but there must also be work arounds.