Author Topic: default installation path should be Program Files\Slickedit\Pro22.0.0  (Read 3207 times)

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
I'd like to suggest that the default installation path on Windows be
c:\Program Files\Slickedit\Pro22.0.0\
rather than
c:\Program Files\Slickedit Pro22.0.0\
I don't like having my Program Files folder cluttered with multiple slickedit installations.

Also, why is it recommended to "add to path"?  I never do it and as far as I can tell it doesn't cause me any problems.

mjdl

• Hero Points: 18
  • SE Pro 2023 v28.0.2.0 64-bit Qt5 Win 11 23H2
Re: default installation path should be Program Files\Slickedit\Pro22.0.0
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 02:12:29 AM »
"Add to path" means vs.exe and other SlickEdit can be invoked from a command line. Useful!

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 132
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 03:07:38 AM »
I've been burned with Add to Path, because it doesn't remove the previous version of SE from the PATH. So sometimes I had multiple versions in my PATH causing funny behavior. This is why I never enable "Add to PATH". Would be nice if the installer would remove the previous version from the PATH when adding the new one.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 12:11:42 PM »
I've been burned with Add to Path, because it doesn't remove the previous version of SE from the PATH. So sometimes I had multiple versions in my PATH causing funny behavior. This is why I never enable "Add to PATH". Would be nice if the installer would remove the previous version from the PATH when adding the new one.

I just did a few tests on Windows 10 and uninstalling SlickEdit removes SlickEdit from the PATH but ONLY if the installer put it there in the first place. We are using the standard MSI install/uninstall for this.

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 132
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 01:05:01 PM »
OK, well this happened to me many years ago and I haven't checked since, so glad to see this is fixed.