Author Topic: Turn off spell check  (Read 3172 times)

dynoman

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Turn off spell check
« on: October 17, 2017, 07:58:43 PM »
I'm easily distracted  ;D and I find the spelling pop-up both distracting and useless. I don't like pop-ups and I don't want any help with spelling (at least not in English). It would be great to have a little checkbox to turn off the spell-checker.

SteveS

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 517
Re: Turn off spell check
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 03:56:17 PM »
Tools > Options > Languages > All Languages > General > [ ] Spell check while typing

dynoman

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 07:57:59 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion but I already have that setting set, i.e. the checkbox for "Spell check while typing" is clear. 

When I stop after typing a word like 'the' in a comment, a little pop-up will appear suggesting other words that I could replace 'the' with. I don't want a pop-up for spell checking at all (although colorizing the word or having an option to check would be fine).

In the current case, if one hits the down array, the word that was just typed gets replaced. So sometimes I have to hit Escape when I stop typing if I want to use an arrow key next. I often don't look at the monitor while typing because I'm reading something, so this silent changing of my keystrokes into something else due to the spell-checker providing a pop-up is what I'm referring to.

Steve

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 517
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 08:11:37 PM »
What you are seeing is auto-complete for word completion. 

Document > [lang] Options... > Auto-Complete > [ ] Word completion.

dynoman

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 08:33:47 PM »
The description (down at the bottom of the humongous GUI) for Auto-Complete says that it offers suggestions for: "syntax, keywords, symbols, and lines of code".

As I don't consider a comment line any of those (comments aren't "code"), it didn't dawn on me that tag files and the symbol-lookup would be "helping me" :-) write comments. Although that is alluded to in the Help for Word Completion. I've turned that one Word Completion feature off and will now find out how that changes other auto-completion tasks.

Thanks!

s