Author Topic: Installing Custom Toolbars  (Read 4664 times)

extragoya

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Installing Custom Toolbars
« on: May 23, 2007, 02:36:48 PM »
Hello all!

I am trying to construct a plugin that uses toolbars.  Currently, in install the plugin on another computer the user has the manually insert every toolbar using the View->Customize menu.  This is not really a viable way to for users to install the plugin. 

I've looked at the code in tbprops.e  under the event ctlok.lbutton_up() (_ToolBarNew_form) and I see that the code sets _param1, _param2, and _param3 with info on how to create the new toolbar but then the the code just exits without doing anything with those params. 

1. What does SlickEdit do with those three variables? 
2. Is there a way to view the code that handles those _param variables?
3. Is there a way to install my forms as toolbars in an automated way? 

Thanks for your help

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Re: Installing Custom Toolbars
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 11:06:03 AM »

3. Is there a way to install my forms as toolbars in an automated way?

I don't know but you might be able to with some experimentation as follows.

Make a copy of all the files in your config directory.
Create a new toolbar from a form.
Exit slickedit so your configuration gets saved or use the save-config command.
Diff the files in your config folder with the ones you previously saved to see what got changed as a result of the new toolbar.

Also, try copying all the files from your config folder except vslick.sta to a new empty folder (e.g. some-folder) and start slickedit with the -sc some-folder switch to make it use the new config folder and see if your toolbar turns up  - if so, it means that the files such as vusrdefs.e and vusrobjs.e contail sufficient info to create the toolbar  - if you figure out what and where that info is you might be able to create new toolbars by modifying those files and loading them. 

Perhaps a long shot and a bit risky though.

See also this post by Clark.
http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=463.msg1882#msg1882

Also look at the hotfix mechanism (hotfix.e) to see what can be done in an automated way.

Graeme