Author Topic: Unable to save  (Read 2521 times)

dfechser

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Unable to save
« on: October 25, 2017, 08:45:22 PM »
I get the "Unable to save" notice when I edit a file which is actually read-only. However, I cannot seem to take the focus away from the notice in order to change the file settings to R/W.

I am working with SlickEdit 2017 for Windows and my files are on a Linux system accessed over a network.

What can I do to tell SlickEdit to give me the notice but allow me to use other programs?

Thanks...

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: Unable to save
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 09:02:13 PM »
By "notice" do you mean message box/popup dialog. It's odd that you're seeing an "Unable to save" message when opening a file because that message typically happens when a file is saved. Is your configuration in a read-only location (guessing here)? Help>About will show where you configuration directory is.

dfechser

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 09:21:22 PM »
Sorry, my original post was unclear.
-Yes, I do mean the message box.
-By "edit" I mean that I have change the file in the buffer and am trying to save - or I have edited the file in the buffer and then I leave the scope of SlickEdit (so it autosaves).

In both cases I see this behavior.

My configuration is R/W. I edit and save lots of files with no problem, I see this only when the file I've tried to change is RO in the Linux environment.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 03:45:25 AM »
I’ve misunderstood a lot here. Does SlickEdit show RO in the status area?

dfechser

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 05:32:58 PM »
Yes it does.

Unfortunately, as I wade through myriad files in debugging and tweaking code I don't notice the changing status and so, suddenly, when I leave the focus of SlickEdit, I'm frozen while it waits to be able to save the one or more RO files.

However, I cannot access my xterms because SlickEdit keeps the focus on the message box so I cannot chmod the files.

Thanks.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 08:35:48 PM »
Please post your user.cfg.xml (as an attachment to a post). I need this to see what setting you're using.

dfechser

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 09:28:58 PM »
I'm unsure what that is so I attached my version and options file.

dfechser

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 09:52:41 PM »
I've been changing my options and, given the options I attached, I can now access the other windows on the PC - the message box is no longer insisting on retaining the focus.

I don't know why it works now but I'm good.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 10:24:13 PM »
According to the settings you've uploaded, AutoSave is OFF. Also, "Save files on loss of focus" is also off. That should mean you would need to invoke Save manually or by exiting SlickEdit.

Also, you have "Protect read-only mode" turned ON. That should make it impossible for you to modify a file which shows RO in the SlickEdit status line. You've definitely got me baffled here.

I've tried using some of the settings you have turned off anyway to see what happens. I'm really not seeing what you are seeing no matter what I do. In the cases I see a message box, I can still switch focus to any other Windows application. The message box is modal to SlickEdit only.

dfechser

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 10:33:33 PM »
Yeah, I changed a lot of those today as I experimented to get past the issue. I'm good now.

Thanks for your time.