Author Topic: Recent File Listing Not Verbose  (Read 308 times)

dfechser

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Recent File Listing Not Verbose
« on: November 01, 2017, 09:21:57 pm »
Hey, in SlickEdit 2017 I've got "Show file history verbosely" checked but I don't see paths listed in the recent file list. I see "file_name.ext -" for every entry but no path after the dash.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 295
Re: Recent File Listing Not Verbose
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 11:56:57 pm »
What do you see in Tools > Options... > File Options > History ?

Do the items have paths?

The "Show file history verbosely" option is not about paths so much as it is about whether the file name is repeated or just the path is shown after the dash.  It is more compact just to show filename - path, rather than filename - path/filename, but we put in this option because that was how SlickEdit traditionally displayed file history.

I think maybe the problem you are seeing is due to a configuration setting you may have inadvertently changed.

Macro > Set Macro Variable... > def_max_fhlen  (default is 40, you probably have it set to 1)

dfechser

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 05:04:16 pm »
Thank you for the response, Dennis. I have attached a picture of the def_max_fhlen variable - it is set to 40.

I believe that my files do have paths. The second attachment shows the Projects window with the files and their paths.

Based on what you said, I believe I don't want "verbose" because I don't need the file name at the end of the path in the recent files menu. I would, however, like to see the path in that menu. I sometimes have two files with the same name at different locations.

Can you suggest something else? Is there something I can send you to help understand what is going on?

Thanks,

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 05:06:42 pm »
What do you see in Tools > Options... > File Options > History ?

dfechser

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 05:14:35 pm »
I see the full paths. See attached.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 07:24:08 pm »
Try increasing def_max_fhlen.  You have some very long file names and UNC paths, so I think at 40, it is truncating your path down to nothing.  The algorithm for shortening the displayed path tries to retain the drive letter or UNC path, and then elides the middle part of the path.  However, there is some fallback code where it just returns an empty path if the starting portion of the path is too long.  I'm going to tweak the algorithm so that it deals with that case better.  I'll also add a setting for def_max_fhlen to the GUI and change the default to 60 for the next release.

dfechser

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 07:37:55 pm »
Dennis,
Changing the value to 60 worked!
Thank you!