Author Topic: Persistently Created Desktop Icon  (Read 1733 times)

JeffB

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 14
Persistently Created Desktop Icon
« on: November 09, 2017, 08:01:19 PM »
Running v22 on Kubuntu....
Why does vs insist on re-creating a vs icon on the desktop everytime I start it ?  Is there a setting for this?

eg.
Start vs
Delete desktop icon or ("SlickEdit Pro-22.0.0.9.desktop" file in ~/Desktop directory)
Close vs
Start vs
icon is back

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 530
Re: Persistently Created Desktop Icon
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 04:40:43 PM »
Looks like this occurs when updating to a new version of SlickEdit but it also occur if the state file is deleted, there is a clean config (again no state file), or a hot fix is installed.

There isn't an option for this yet.

It seems like an option for this might best be an environment variable. That way, if you start SlickEdit with a clean config, you still get what you want. What do you think? You would need to add this to a login profile.

The other solutions I've come up with don't seem as good. Some users start with a clean config and import their settings. Which means adding a user option wouldn't work since you have to start the editor before your settings have been imported.

JeffB

• Hero Points: 14
Re: Persistently Created Desktop Icon
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 06:26:57 PM »
Thanks, Clark.

I did some more testing and you are right -it doesn't happen every time.  It probably seemed like it because I generally have at least one instance running unless I reboot, upgrade VS or apply a hotfix.  If those are the only times it happens, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  If you were to do something, ENV variable seems like a good way to make the veteran users happy, and still be user-friendly to newer/less-experienced users.

Thanks,
Jeff