Author Topic: Some workspaces on Mac OS don't render fonts correctly  (Read 118 times)

tim_k

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
Some workspaces on Mac OS don't render fonts correctly
« on: November 30, 2017, 10:19:32 pm »
After upgrading to v22, fonts for some workspaces render horribly - blocky crooked edges, squished vertically and horizontally, and in some cases don't seem to use the font specified in the preferences for unicode and plain text source windows. This only affects some workspaces, and I can't find a common property to determine which are and are not affected. New workspaces don't seem to have the problem (though testing is limited). If I change the font in the preferences when in an affected workspace, the source window does updates to the new font, but it's still rendered poorly.

I've attached screen shots of bad/good rendering of the same text.

Closing & reopening files does not fix it. However, a file from a working workspace opened in a broken workspace does not always have the issue - the fonts are sometimes properly rendered. Opening a file from a broken workspace in a working workspace sometimes renders correctly as well. Opening broken workspaces on a linux VM (same SE version, same physical files) works fine, as does opening the workspace in SE 21.0.1.0 on the Mac.

Also, toggling the "use anti-aliasing" option only updates the line numbers, not the source itself, in any workspace.

Any ideas?
-Tim

Machine: 27" iMac, late 2013. 32GB RAM, OS X 10.9.5.
Slickedit: Slickedit Pro 2017 (v22.0.0.9), latest hotfix - se2200_11_cumulative.

rajkej

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 8
Re: Some workspaces on Mac OS don't render fonts correctly
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 07:35:14 pm »
I had to manually set Mac Retina Display (High DPI) support to 'on' for my iMac 5K screen. You might need to try the different settings there to see if that works. See attachment:

tim_k

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 07:41:29 pm »
Thanks Rajkej, but that didn't work. I tried all 3 possibilities (relaunching after each change), and all failed to render properly.

-Tim

tim_k

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 09:15:30 pm »
New info...

On my linux VM I opened a workspace that I created on my Mac. The font rendered correctly, but was the wrong font. I don't know what it was, but it was about 2-4 pionts bigger and not the same character shapes. I toggled the hex editing button to look at the hex values looking for unicode vs plain text. When I toggled back to text, the font was correct! Hmmmm... I tried the same thing on the mac side with a "broken" workspace. It worked. Toggling to hex edit and back caused the font to render correctly. I tried this with multiple files in the broken workspace, quitting without saving after toggling each. In all cases the font fix survived the relaunch.

So... what gives?

-Tim