Author Topic: What happened to "Current Selection"  (Read 1002 times)

jimlangrunner

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
What happened to "Current Selection"
« on: December 21, 2017, 03:12:02 pm »
I'm using 22.0.1 (just downloaded the other day).  I'm using the big find & replace dialog (I don't use the mini-find.  Not even sure I can even find it anymore.) 

I have a batch of Powershell lines I need to duplicate and edit. I highlight the lines I want to update, I use ctrl-h to bring up the replace box, and the only options for "Look in" are <All buffers> and <current buffer>.  There is no option for <current selection>.  What gives?  Did I miss something?  I don't insist it be selected when I highlight a bunch of lines, but it should at least be there. 

I went back to 22.0.0 and the <Current Selection> option is there.  I'm glad I didn't remove it.  I've done the edits in 22.0.0, so it's not a critical issue, but it sure is something I use a lot. 

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: What happened to "Current Selection"
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 03:50:37 pm »
I tested it with a default config in 22.0.1, and I do see it populated under normal conditions.  Is the Find tool window docked?  The option normally does not appear in the drop down if there is not an active selection in the current editor control.  It may be that it might not be refreshing the list in cases where it is already initialized and displayed and you are focus switching between editor and tool window.  It is always re-initialized when you use the find/replace command or displayed for the first time, I would have do some testing to see where the drop-down list needs repopulating.

jimlangrunner

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 03:53:51 pm »
That would probably explain it.  I keep it docked on the right but collapsed, so it never really initializes when I invoke it.  It just flies out.

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 04:22:57 pm »
I checked it over, the drop-down list should always be refreshed on drop down any time it is docked or auto-hidden.  And always when a search command brings it to focus.  It might happen in cases where it is active and floating, those I should be able to address.  There may also be issues if you have multiple floating editor groups, and the tool window is docked in a different layout than the last editor you had selected.

jimlangrunner

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 05:00:23 pm »
I have it docked & collapsed on the right side of the window along with my regex evaluator window.  I never float the tool window, and I rarely (and not since 22.0.1) have multiple editor windows. 

My typical session is to open Slickedit, which usually has a couple of auto-saved buffers (Untitled<1> through Untitled<n>) containing useful text.  I then open or drag in a file I want to work on.  I'll notice something odd (like checkboxes disappearing in tool windows) and just restart Slick to get around it.  That has been happening since 20.x, and I don't worry about it.  That's how I work.

In the current situation, I'll start slick, find the text I want to work on, highlight, then Ctrl-H.  That's when <current Selection> is not available. 

jimlangrunner

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 01:00:48 pm »
Not sure what caused it, but a clean config fixed it.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 133
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 04:29:11 pm »
I double checked that using the Del key doesn't delete it (the Del key is supported to remove things from the history in that dialog), but it seems to be properly shut off for that combo box.