Author Topic: Live errors for python - pylint integration with SlickEdit  (Read 5503 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
Live errors for python - pylint integration with SlickEdit
« on: February 11, 2018, 06:47:02 PM »
Would be nice to have pylint integrated with SlickEdit. Eclipse, Sublime, Visual Studio and many other editors already offer this integration.

With this integration, it would be easier to track down potential issues in Python code.

Using pylint, these other IDEs are able to show live errors/issues with Python code.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 07:22:49 PM by rowbearto »

tinker123

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
Re: Live errors for python - pylint integration with SlickEdit
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 03:02:04 PM »
I think it would be a win-win for the company as well as the customers.

Their ever present challenge is to implement new features to get returning customers to buy pricey upgrades.

Integrating PyLint would do that for a number of people.

ebbe

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 07:37:11 PM »
I have used pylint with SE for some years now. Here is what I do:

I have a .pylintrc file located in my home directory (I have attached the one I use). This file configures pylint in various ways, one of which is formatting the error messages to something SE can parse. So Shift-Ctrl-Up and Shift-Ctrl-Down work as expected.

I have added a tool to Python projects called - of all things - "pylint". The command line for this tool looks like this:

Code: [Select]
pylint --rcfile %(HOME)/.pylintrc %{*.py}
A little explanation here:
  • The --rcfile option tells pylint where to find the .pylintrc file
  • The construct %{*.py} expands to a list of all python files located in the directory this command is run from.
This command works in both Windows and Linux versions of SE provided you have created a HOME environment variable in Windows. Mine looks like this:

Code: [Select]
set HOME=%USERPROFILE%\documents
Hope this helps.

jwiede

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 12
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 08:17:44 PM »
That's all well and good, but it'd be great if direct support existed for checking and reporting results from a pylint- / flake8-type linter.  And while I'm asking, similar support for checking and reporting results from mypy-type static type analysis would also be useful.