Author Topic: SQL  (Read 4984 times)

Absinthe

SQL
« on: September 23, 2009, 05:15:24 PM »
Better/More SQL support

Make common the tools that are specific to other things, such as "Beautify"

Better handling of indentation styles. Specifically, things like right aligning primary keywords so one could code like:

SELECT ThisCol, ThatCol, TheOtherCol
     FROM MyTable
      JOIN YourTable
             ON MyTable.TheKeyCol = YourTable.TheKeyCol
   WHERE TheKeyCol = 7
       AND TheSubKey = 9

Or something like that.

Be able to tag a SQL project, such that tables and their respective columns are understood in the same way as structures and their member variables, allowing dot expansion of them.

Handle Errors in a custom manner so that there can be offsets into the source file. SQL source files can contain multiple blocks separated by "GO" statements. However, when it returns an error message, the line number is relative to the GO in the file.

Handle multi line error handling. The first error in a file has the filename and path and subsequent lines have merely the line number until a new file is mentioned.

In projects the working directory should be able to expand other project macros within its definition such as %rn. In addition being that the project path is stored as a relative path, it should actually translate to the actual path when used as a macro.

When creating folders in a project, it would be nice to have an option to associate a path with it. Currently you can do this by making folders then adding files to them, however it would be nice to be able to "Create a new file in this associated folder"

Publish simple sample scripts as the help for each of the commands in the macro documentation, similar to the way Microsoft does it in Books online.

Allow macros to be expanded along with parameters within aliases.

tnet

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Re: SQL
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 07:36:22 AM »
My current wish list for Slickedit, my favorite editor for more years than I care to admit:

1.) the ability to customize the fields in the file open toolbar tab (e.g. add datetime of last mod, size etc) and the ability to sort by header fields would be great.  I find myself often not using the file open toolbar on the left side of the editor because I can't sort by datetime etc.

2.) A SQL beautifier would be nice, or otherwise a template for hooking in our own command-line beautifier so it would take the current selected text, or the entire buffer, run it through the external formatter exe and replace the selected text or buffer with the beautified sql code.

3.) Another nice-to-have would be an isql.exe or sql.cmd MS Sql Server Management Studio execution capability whereby we could emulate the output buffer that appears on the bottom of the script editor in Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.  The output window can be configured with a hotkey to display query results in grid format or in free text format.  The output buffer in Slickedit could be the target for the query execution output.

In MSSSMS, F-5 or the run button executes the entire buffer, or if any text is highlighted in the buffer, executes that text only.

This sort SQL execution functionality has been very popular in Xemacs for decades -- the buffer keeps accumulating output until cleared (which would be an improvement over the Microsoft tool).

Some may ask, why not just use MS SQL Management Studio?, but Slickedit is such a great editor and environment, I don't like having to leave it for any reason:)

Warm regards,

A

rod_gomz

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 09:05:33 PM »
I'm sure better PL/SQL is already in the list but...

Better PL/SQL support.

algorhythm

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 07:52:07 PM »
Database connect and query support for PostgreSQL, Oracle, and SQL Server.

rod_gomz

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 08:47:38 PM »
PL/SQL

Keep improving support.

forbin

• Community Member
  • "Never design a system without an 'OFF' switch..."
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 10:47:53 PM »
Beautification for PL/SQL (Oracle) and SQL Server (i.e. T-SQL).

Or at least an add-on macro that beautifies most SQL queries.

Especially need the ability to beautify a query that is a "one liner".  I get these ALL the time as an error response or debugging response from a system.

[Apologies if this has been mentioned already.  I looked but didn't see it...]

jimlangrunner

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 08:40:48 PM »
I would really love to see beautification for SQL.  Some of the stuff I work with....

mhyman37@gmail.com

• mst3rSa1am1s
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 02:44:34 PM »
I see this is an old post, but has become more relevant with the current increase in demand for data analysis.

Is Slickedit even interested in supporting this large user base ? 

I ask because even Emacs has sql-oracle available to connect to Oracle as well as other databases.  Not to mention R, Sparc, Groovy, Nifi, and host of other languages needing powerful editor support.

For me to continue to use/justify the cost, am curious how Slickedit views itself in regards the needs of the data community.

AronsonAa

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 09:26:56 PM »
I figure this request has not been made this year, so I would re-ask that some flavor or segment of beautify be implemented for SQL.
I'm specifically interested in formatting Create Table or Define <variable> statements as those are the most often used in Columnar cut/paste actions.