Author Topic: Copy bookmarks as links  (Read 2330 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 210
  • Text
Copy bookmarks as links
« on: May 03, 2018, 09:38:35 PM »
When investigating code I like to take notes.
I have to manually copy references like:
  • pathname of source file.
  • Class
  • Function
  • Some relevant context text
I'd like a command in Slick to copy a HTML formatted link to the clipboard.
Then I could paste that link into something like Onenote, Word, email, etc.
When I click on the link it would activate Slickedit, goto that source file and location.

For example, when I manually create a link in Onenote, then copy it, the interesting bit that ends up on the clipboard:
Code: [Select]
<a href="file:///c:/foo/bar/blat.c">My Example Link</a>
That would be OK, better would include more:

<a href="file:///c:/foo/bar/blat.c?line=50&col=14">My Example Link</a>
of course, instead of "My Example Link" for the text, it should be something useful like
<a href="file:///c:/foo/bar/blat.c?line=50&col=14">class Thingy, function Thingy::doit( ... )</a>

I should be able to copy such a link from:
  • The current cursor location.
  • The current selection (and navigating with this link would recreate the selection).
  • a bookmark.
  • a break point.
  • the entire bookmark stack!
  • the contents of the left pane of "References"
  • Search Results.

Ideally, instead of a simple line=#,col=#, Slick could include the context information that it normally includes with bookmarks and breakpoints - so that if the file changes a little the location could be corrected.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
Re: Copy bookmarks as links
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 10:15:21 PM »
Your comment motivated me to try code annotations.  I've never tried them before because people who don't have slickedit can't see them but I also need to take notes sometimes and annotations could be really useful.  I think I would need "print to html" before committing to this.  I know you mentioned a while ago there were some bugs with annotations - I wonder if any are show stoppers. 

I also love and use OneNote a lot but its searching seems a bit unreliable and if you copy source code from a note, there's a problem with line endings or something.  I think I will test annotations a bit more and see how reliable they are.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
Re: Copy bookmarks as links
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 02:14:57 PM »
This is a good idea, Joe.  I'm going to file a feature request for it, but no guarantees that we can work it into the next release.