Author Topic: SlickEdit for Linux  (Read 629 times)

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 280
SlickEdit for Linux
« on: April 03, 2018, 11:15:31 pm »
I may be doing some C++ work for an embedded Linux platform soon.  The distro for development work hasn't been decided yet.  Does SlickEdit behave pretty much the same on Linux as it does on Windows?  Does SlickEdit work better on some distros than others?

Exolon

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 5
Re: SlickEdit for Linux
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 05:32:27 am »
I'm working with SlickEdit on GNU/Linux (Ubuntu with Xfce) and used it on Windows the years before.
No hassle. Simply the same. But I never tried it on non-Ubuntu platforms.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 280
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 06:08:03 am »
Thanks.  I'm hoping it will be Ubuntu we use.

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 79
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 01:20:16 pm »
I've used SE on Red Hat, CentOS and Ubuntu with no issues.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 78
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 01:54:38 pm »
My development system here is Ubuntu here, with VMs for the common distributions.   The variation we see comes more from the window manager used than the distribution.  On my dev system, I mainly run the Ubuntu 17.10 Gnome, sometimes switching to Unity or i3. We seem to be solid with the window managers that ship as defaults with the big distributions. 

The only window manager I know of that we have unaddressed issues with is Openbox window manager and its derivatives.  There are a couple of modal dialogs that can randomly become unmapped after they come up.

tim_k

• Hero Points: 10
  • -Tim
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 01:55:41 pm »
I've run SE on RHEL 6  VM with no issues at all. The Mac version also works well. I had minor window manager issues on Ubuntu (14.04, I think) but didn't use it on that setup enough to chase down the issues. Functionally everything's the same across platforms, in my experience.

-Tim