Author Topic: File type in "New File" dialog  (Read 7869 times)

RobFreundlich

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
File type in "New File" dialog
« on: May 29, 2007, 04:45:14 PM »
In pre-12.0 versions, I could use the keyboard to select my file type in the "New File" dialog.  I'd tab until the list of types had focus, hit space to activate the list, then hit the first letter of my type.

In 12.0 (and 12.0.1), this doesn't work any longer.  Instead, typing a letter acts as though I'd type Alt- and the letter.  So, for example, typing "A" will act as though I clicked the "Add to Project" box rather than taking me to "ActionScript", which is the first filetype in my list.

Any suggestions or workaround will be greatly appreciated.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: File type in "New File" dialog
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 06:02:49 PM »
I assume you are talking about the dialog that comes up when you select File > New.  If so, I get the same behavior in v11.0.2 and in v12.0.1. I'm not able to use a keystroke to incrementally search the list of File Types.

What emulation are you using? Can you tell me which version you were using previously that performed like that? Are you sure you didn't load a custom macro for that?

--Scott

RobFreundlich

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 06:37:54 PM »
Hi, Scott,

Yes, it's the dialog that comes up for File > New.  In 11.0.2 (and as far back as I can remember), I was able to incrementally search the list with a keystroke.  I had to go through some hoops to activate the control first - my fingers knew the key sequence but my brain didn't, so I may be wrong about this, but I think it was:
  • Alt-F, N to open the dialog.  This put the "active control" dotted box around the word "File" in the "File" tab.
  • Tab to move the dotted box to the file type list
  • Space (I never figured out why this was necessary)
  • Hit the first letter of my file type, and the selection bar would move to the first type with that letter.  Hit it again, and it'd go to the second one, and so on.

I used this a lot because I switch between HTML and Java files frequently, so the default of "the current file's type" tends to not work for me.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 07:09:55 PM »
Rob:

I tried in 10 and 11, I get the same behavior as in 12.0.

What emulation are you using?

RobFreundlich

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 12:49:41 AM »
I'm using CUA emulation, with no special keys for anything related to the file dialog.

RobFreundlich

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 01:16:03 AM »
Well, I tried this today on a co-worker's SlickEdit 11, and couldn't reproduce it either.  Maybe version 12 is shipping without whatever hallucinogens made me think this was happening?  ;D

So can I add it as a feature request?  What I'd like is to be able to use the keyboard to incrementally search the list of file types, when that list has focus.

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 09:07:25 AM »
I'd like to add the same request for the file extension list in 'File Extension Options'.
Edit: Oops - this is a combobox. However, it would be nice if combobox widgets get i-search support too.

Thanks,
HS2
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 09:37:27 AM by hs2 »

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 01:50:25 PM »
We are working on some changes to the File > New and Project > New dialogs for v12.0.2. Here are some of the key changes that are planned (disclaimer: all plans are subject to change, void in states where prohibited, you mileage may very, etc.):
  • Change list of Project Types to use a tree so that all of the Java projects, for example, are under a collapsible node.
  • Add a list of the n most recently used Project Types, so that frequently used project types are quickly accessible. N will be configurable, probably default to 5.
  • Improvements to better handle the relationship between document mode and file extension. If you specify an extension, it will pick the correct document mode. If you pick a document mode with only one extension and don't specify an extension in the filename, then the appropriate extension will be added.
  • Incremental search for document modes and project types.  :o

I think those are the key changes. There are bunch of smaller changes. Let me know what you think or if you'd like to see some additional changes.

--Scott

RobFreundlich

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 03:51:13 PM »
Add a list of the n most recently used Project Types, so that frequently used project types are quickly accessible. N will be configurable, probably default to 5.

Can you do this for File Types/Modes as well?

Improvements to better handle the relationship between document mode and file extension. If you specify an extension, it will pick the correct document mode. If you pick a document mode with only one extension and don't specify an extension in the filename, then the appropriate extension will be added.

That would be totally sweet, and would probably alleviate 90%+ of my need for incremental searching.

Thanks!
Rob

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 02:17:47 PM »
Can you do this for File Types/Modes as well?

Yup, sorry I didn't metion that before.

--Scott