Author Topic: Assembly Syntax Highlighting Headaches (SlickEdit 2016 v21.0.1)  (Read 2457 times)

jmurphy

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Hi,

I have an assembly file in my project with a .s file extension.  It looks like by default, SlickEdit associates that file extension with the IBM HLASM lexer.  I want to change it to Unix Assembly, but I'm having issues getting it to work.  The problem is, even if I remove "S" from the list of file extensions for HLASM, it still seems to be linked under the covers.  What I did was to remove "S" from HLASM and add it to Unix Assembly.  But, the syntax highlighting is still linked to HLASM (I verified this by changing some of the settings and observing the highlighting change for the file, even when the file's extension was associated with a different lexer).

I confirmed that "s" is associated with Unix Assembly in the File Extension Manager (see screenshot), but there must be something I'm missing.  Also see screenshot below for weird syntax highlighting.

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 517
Re: Assembly Syntax Highlighting Headaches (SlickEdit 2016 v21.0.1)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 02:06:53 PM »
SlickEdit remembers what mode you last edited a file in.  To change it, do the following.

Document > Select Mode... > Unix Assembly

jmurphy

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 06:14:55 PM »
Hey Dennis,

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide an answer.  It worked perfectly.  I was so caught up in lexers and comment setup dialog boxes that I never ventured over to the "Document" menu.  So simple I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't find it  ::), but at least I'll know for next time.  Much appreciated...

JimmieC

• Hero Points: 17
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 02:53:26 PM »
I work with a lot of embedded products. Most assembly has the .asm extension. My output files are S-records with the .s extension.

I would like to be able to assign the .asm extension variant (TI, Freescale\NXP, Microchip, etc) per project. Also, in the same project define the .s extension as plain text.

Maybe this is already available and I just haven't stumbled across it. And, I don't think SE has lexers for all of those assembly variants. Unfortunately for me, the embedded market is small for SE.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 11:43:25 PM »
Which file extensions do you have that need different meanings?  Is .s sometimes assembler and sometimes plain text?

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 04:09:01 AM by Graeme »