Author Topic: SlickEdit has stopped working  (Read 2932 times)

Researcher5

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SlickEdit has stopped working
« on: April 29, 2018, 04:06:13 PM »
SlickEdit 22.0.2.1 just crashed for me in Win 10 64 Pro.
"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly."
I have a screenprint of the popup dialog (which has no helpful info, and only a Close button).
- what info do you need for debugging?
- are there Win10 settings you'd like me to make to capture more?
- I don't know how to reproduce this
- where should I be making bug reports like this, so they get a problem-tracking number -- and I can track their fix?

Thanks - Researcher5
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 04:31:08 PM by Researcher5 »

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: SlickEdit has stopped working
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 01:37:58 PM »
For Windows users that experience this type of failure, the best method for us to diagnose the failure is to capture a minidump for the crashed process.  There are a couple of ways of generating a dump file in Windows.  If you have Microsoft Visual Studio installed, then their debugger can be used to attach and capture the dump file for the process.  WinDbg is also a useful tool for capturing dump files.  If you have administrative rights for the machine, you can also configure Windows Error Reporting to automate this process for you. It requires some registry editing, here's a link that describes what settings you need:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb787181(v=vs.85).aspx

Recommend using the mini dump type to start with rather than full dump, dump file sizes becomes and an issue when trying to upload to support.

If you have a dump file, or a source file or project that will easily reproduce a crash or issue, you can contact customer support through
www.slickedit.com/supportcase  to create a support case, there are instructions there for submitting particulars on your configuration, emulation, and upload any files that you allowed to share that may help us reproduce the issue.

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 11:50:00 AM »
SlickEdit stops to respond on the startup and crashes itself, any help? I'm on Win 10 64-bit.
Start slickedit like this and see what happens.
vs.exe  +new  -sc  c:\some-empty-folder

some-empty-folder can be any empty folder.

Researcher5

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 12:15:47 AM »
Thanks for the introduction to the minidump process.  I've attached a PDF of the MS page to which you pointed.
- yes, I have admin rights to the computer
- no, I can't reproduce it (hence my original question)
- can you be extremely explicit (with a screenshot) of the registry setup?  I assume that where MS says "MyApplication.exe" I should be entering "vs.exe"?  Any other .exe's?  You know best what you need and how to maximize what's captured -- please teach me explicitly.

Thanks - Researcher5