Author Topic: Unable to do a Find In Files on word at cursor in child window  (Read 2342 times)

jorick

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 17
If I grab a tab and pull it out of the main SE window, and then try to click on a word and do a Find In Files, the dialog box will show the word at the cursor in a different window inside the main SE window.  I have to select the word, copy it, and then insert the word into the dialog box.

SlickEdit Pro 2017 (v22.0.2.1 64-bit)

Serial number: [redacted]
Licensed number of users: Single user
License file: C:\ProgramData\slickedit\22\slickedit.lic

Build Date: February 12, 2018
Emulation: CodeWright

OS Version: 6.01.7601  Service Pack 1
Memory: 62% Load, 17898MB/28577MB Physical, 19312MB/57152MB Page File, 773MB/8388607MB Virtual
Shell Information: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /q
Screen Size: 1680 x 1050, 1680 x 1050, 1680 x 1050, 1680 x 1050, 1920 x 1200

Project Type: (Other)
Language: .c (C/C++)
Encoding: Automatic

Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\SlickEdit Pro 22.0.2\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,86658MB free)
Configuration Directory: C:\Users\rbennet\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\22.0.2\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,86658MB free)
Migrated from: C:\Users\rbennet\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\22.0.0\

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: Unable to do a Find In Files on word at cursor in child window
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 02:16:46 PM »
I cannot reproduce this issue.  When I invoke Find in Files,  I always get the word at cursor from the floating window.  What does your layout look like?  Is Find & Replace window docked or floating?  How are you invoking Find in Files (key-command, menu)?

jorick

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 02:27:57 PM »
Main window is separated into three areas, each containing around 15 to 20 files.  At the far right is a docked Files window Buffers, Project, and Workspace tabs; with the Open and Class windows in tabs below it.

Find and Replace window is floating. 

Find in Files is invoked by a toolbar control.  The control command is find_in_files.  It's not bound to a key.

jorick

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 02:35:46 PM »
I just found I can't save the file either.  If I click on the Save File icon when focus is in the floating window, the focus immediately goes to a window in the main SE window and the file in the main window is saved but the file in the floating window isn't.  Fortunately I save on loss of focus so at least I can save it by clicking outside of SE.

Further experimenting shows that no matter what toolbar button or menu I use when the floating window is active, it causes the main SE window to be active with a buffer in that window receiving the button or menu command.

I'm going to try rebooting.

jorick

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 03:14:25 PM »
Rebooting didn't work.

In addition, floating windows and any files in them didn't get reloaded when I restarted SE.  All other files that were in the main SE window were loaded okay, though.  But the wrong project in the workspace was loaded.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 09:30:31 PM »
I can't reproduce any of these problems either.  Are all of these problems new problems  - has slick been working correctly before the last few days?  If they're not new problems then maybe it's because you have five monitors?  If they are new problems then try starting a new config and import your option settings.  Or try deleting vrestore.slk - with slick closed  - make a backup first.

jorick

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 01:30:36 PM »
SE has been working correctly but I haven't tried pulling a tab out of the main window for a long, long, time.

A closer look shows that it's a window selection problem.  Clicking a button in the main SE window deselects the child window and selects the main SE window before the button action can be done.  I run Win 7 Pro instead of Win 10 (can't upgrade, says Corporate) so it may be something in the system itself, or in one of the addons that I run to fix some of the Windows bugs (e.g. Winstep Xtreme to fix the Start Menu and Explorer Jump bugs).

I just found a workaround, thanks to my 5 monitors.  I stretched SE across 2 monitors and that gave me enough room for another 3 windows inside the main SE window.  So it looks like I'm good for now.