Author Topic: Auto generation of workspace under Ubuntu?  (Read 1513 times)

command_liner

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Auto generation of workspace under Ubuntu?
« on: June 20, 2018, 06:30:17 PM »
We have a large code base generated with other tools, where the list of files in the code base changes pretty quickly.    The codebase is C and C++ based, and I would like to use SlickEdit more effectively.

Since the codebase changes a few times a day, the SlickEdit workspace and project  is essentially constantly out of date.  So tagging never works, and neither does navigation.
We have been living with this for a few years, but the pace of change increases, making
SE less and less useful.

Is there any way to re-generate a workspace/project every time SE starts?   
1) look in the local directory for the name of the project
2) Ignore in all cases one directory that contains temporary files
3) include all other C, C++, H files
4) possibly include a few other types of files for text search, like bash, python, tcl, perl, and some XML.

It would be good to be able to dedicate several cores to this task.  Normally SE startup and indexing is not sufficiently multi-threaded.   I could spare 8 Xeon cores and 16GB RAM if only SE could use it.     Is there any way to script this startup so that when SE starts, it is useful in this case?

This is an Ubuntu system, so please no fixes for Windows.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
Re: Auto generation of workspace under Ubuntu?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 08:12:13 PM »
I have been maintaining an "on demand" rescan of the project files. It doesn't run upon loading your project, but probably with some small SE macro magic you could get it to do so.

More details can be found here:

https://github.com/rbresalier/sync_project_with_scm

There is also the "add as wildcard" that is part of native SE support - this should rescan every time you load your project, but can take a long time, as opposed to my solution that saves the list of files into the project file so that it is available next time you reload your project.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 08:13:46 PM by rowbearto »