Author Topic: Visual Studio 2017 C# solution opens up with no files and no configuration  (Read 5016 times)

sigmund

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 9
When I open up a Visual Studio 2017 C# solution in SlickEdit, then the workspace contains no files and no configurations.

This has been the case for all Visual Studio 2017 C# solutions I have tried so far.

I have attached an example solution, see "WebApplication1.zip".  This example was generated in Visual Studio by selecting "File -> New -> Project", and then chose "Installed -> Visual C# -> .NET Core -> ASP .NET Core Web Application", and then "Web Application (Model-View-Controller)".

See the attached image "VisualStudio2017.png" for how this solution looks when loaded in Visual Studio, and the images "SlickEdit2017_1.png" and ""SlickEdit2017_2.png" for how the solution looks when loaded in SlickEdit.

I found this topic when searching the forum for similar issues:
https://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,11589.msg49012.html#msg49012

However, the .sln file in the zip attached to that topic opens up fine (with one file, "SlickEditTest.cs").

Here is my "About SlickEdit" output:
Code: [Select]
SlickEdit Pro 2017 (v22.0.2.1 64-bit)

Serial number: WB943076
Licensed number of users: Single user
License file: C:\ProgramData\slickedit\22\slickedit.lic

Build Date: May 22, 2018
Emulation: CUA

OS Version: 10.00.0 
Memory: 37% Load, 12242MB/32648MB Physical, 14372MB/37512MB Page File, 894MB/134217727MB Virtual
Shell Information: C:\tools\JPSoft\TCMD22\tcc.exe /LD /LH
Screen Size: 1920 x 1080, 1920 x 1080

Project Type: Microsoft Visual Studio Csharp
Language: .txt (Plain Text)
Encoding: Automatic

Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\SlickEdit Pro 22.0.2\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,324586MB free)
Configuration Directory: C:\Users\VikS\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\22.0.2\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,324586MB free)

Hotfixes:
C:\Users\VikS\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\22.0.2\hotfixes\hotfix_se2202_6_cumulative.zip (Revision: 6)

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Thanks for the report.  I am able to reproduce the issues you are reporting.  I took a look at .csproj you included and this is not like any msbuild type project file we have seen before.  There are no file, directory wildcard, or configurations to parse from in the project file.  Looking at it in Visual Studio, files are implicitly included, but not all folders are automatically included in the Solution Explorer view.  I am going to file a defect report on this and try to figure out if there is any additional meta-data that we need to parse to create a project view.

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Thanks for that, exactly the pages I needed.

sigmund

• Community Member
Will there be a hotfix for this?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Lee is out this week. I'm pretty sure this isn't hot fixable.

sigmund

• Community Member
Ok, I was hoping for a patched dll/exe like Dennis did here:
https://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,16151.0.html

I have had to stop using SlickEdit for new Visual Studio C# projects due to this..

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
Support for this will need beta testing (definitely not a simple tweak or just macros). The plan is to add support for this to v23. We will post here when the v23 beta is ready. It would be great if you could try it out.

sigmund

• Community Member
I'll be happy to try out the beta when it is ready :)

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
v23 beta 1 is available now.

https://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,16215.0.html

Please try out the new Visual Studio project support.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
You might also like the improved C# tagging support in v23 beta 1.

sigmund

• Community Member
I have tried out SlickEdit v23 beta 1 and the .NET Core project works much better now, thank you!  I have some questions and comments:

Visual Studio automatically detects file changes (new/deleted files), but in SlickEdit I need to do "Project -> Refresh" for the changes to get picked up.  Are there any plans to make this happen automatically in SlickEdit as well?

After creating a new file and doing Refresh, the new file always show up at the end of the list of files for a given folder in the Projects tree view.  After closing and opening up the project again it will be displayed in the correct order.  Another oddity is that the SlickEdit .vpj files show up in the Projects tree view (and of course also in Visual Studio).

As for the tagging, I must admit that I do not have much experience using SlickEdit with C#.  However, there are some things that I have observed.

If I open up the ErrorViewModel.cs file in the project that I originally attached in this thread, place the cursor on "IsNullOrEmpty", and hit Ctrl+. (push-tag), then I get up a lot of alternatives..  See attached screen shot "IsNullOrEmpty.png".

If I do the same in Visual Studio and hit F12 (Go to definition), then it takes me directly to the correct declaration (in a file "C:\Users\VikS\AppData\Local\Temp\MetadataAsSource\2e8756db150b472686a876f6897f483b\7b74f2366ab74cd3889be6547adfba0f\String.cs").

Is there anything I can do in SlickEdit to get the same behavior as in Visual Studio?

Also, when hitting "." after "!string", Visual Studio's dialog comes up quicker and is more helpful than the corresponding dialog in SlickEdit.  See attachments "VisualStudio_CodeCompletion.png", "SlickEdit_CodeCompletion.png", and "SlickEdit_CodeCompletion2.png".

In SlickEdit I have to type ".IsNu" (or scroll through a long list) before finding the function I am looking for.  And even after finding it I have to select a second (but seemingly identical) overload before any useful function documentation gets shown.

The reason Visual Studio displays "IsNullOrEmpty" at the top is due to IntelliCode:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2018/05/07/introducing-visual-studio-intellicode/

But even without IntelliCode the function (and especially its documentation) is much easier to find in Visual Studio.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 11:43:21 AM by sigmund »

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
Visual Studio dynamically disassembles byte code when you try to navigate to something which it does not have source for.  We do not have this feature yet.  It has also been suggested for Java.

We do wind up tagging more than is ideal when we are trying to get comments for .NET.  The NuGetFallbackFolder is a bit of a mess in my opinion.  It's not clear how to filter out a particular version of .NET comments without missing items or getting duplicates.  Currently we are just filtering out the foreign language variants and grabbing everything.  The point of tagging that stuff is to get the comments, not to navigate to the source.  Focus is on bringing you the API, not the source code.

We are a few less employees than Microsoft, so we are a bit behind on hard-coding Intellicode suggestions for C#.  We do have plans for a future release to improve auto-complete suggesting rankings, but unfortunately it won't be the same as the hard-coding that Microsoft can afford to do.