Author Topic: How to hide window tabs??  (Read 3305 times)

ealbers

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: -7
How to hide window tabs??
« on: June 21, 2018, 04:00:20 AM »
The window tabs take up almost 10% of my screen, is there a way to hide/remove these? See attached image, I think the C:\xampp\htdocs\spectrum2\app.js is really no needed to be shown oh 8 or so times and take up so much screen real estate.
Is there a way to turn off all this 'help'?

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Re: How to hide window tabs??
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 11:54:06 AM »
You can't get rid of them but  -  in tools -> options -> appearance -> fonts   - select "document tabs" and you can reduce the size of the font shown on the doc tabs.  In appearance  -> general  - you can reduce the size of the window left margin.

JimmieC

• Hero Points: 17
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 05:23:48 PM »
>>> Is there a way to turn off all this 'help'?

I think that tabs are typically part of the modern MDI. Many applications have tabs, Excel, CodeWarrior 10+, Code Composer, Eclipse, Beyond Compare, Boxer, Firefox, etc. So, I don't think that tabs are really considered as some sort of special editing help by SE but rather inherent in MDI. That's not to say that applications can't be designed\written not to include tabs. Surely, that is possible.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 09:20:12 PM »
If you typically work in one or two places, you could get some >=40 inch 4k monitors. If you do, you'll never want to work on a small monitor again ;D

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 03:21:15 PM »
There is also View->FullScreen.
Doesn't get rid of tabs, but gets rid of the rest of the stuff (title bar, tool windows, optionally the menu bar as well).

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 02:01:50 PM »
The window tabs take up almost 10% of my screen, is there a way to hide/remove these? See attached image, I think the C:\xampp\htdocs\spectrum2\app.js is really no needed to be shown oh 8 or so times and take up so much screen real estate.

You can use the zoom-window command to zoom in on the windows and the tabs won't show up (I do this).  If you don't have it bound to a key you can use Zoom Toggle on the Window menu.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 12:43:04 AM »

You can use the zoom-window command to zoom in on the windows and the tabs won't show up (I do this).  If you don't have it bound to a key you can use Zoom Toggle on the Window menu.

That doesn't help.  When there's only one window, the space taken by the tabs isn't as significant as when there's lots of windows.

[Edit] well, on second thoughts, it helps in that it lets you zoom to one window and unzoom back to multi-windows but it doesn't help with the amount of space taken up when you have multiple windows.  Personally I don't know why anyone would ever want more than two windows but I know some people do.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 01:18:06 AM by Graeme »

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 01:32:10 AM »
I'm afraid that's all I've got, I have to fall back to Clark's message about 4k monitors ;)