Author Topic: option to show non-project items in Projects window  (Read 2198 times)

IkerAriz

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
option to show non-project items in Projects window
« on: June 27, 2018, 03:19:32 PM »
I often find myself in a situation where I do not want to add files to my project, but I would nonetheless like to see them in the Projects window. An option to show non-project files with a visual indicator of their non-project status (eg. dimmed) would be really handy in cases like this.

Iker

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
Re: option to show non-project items in Projects window
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 11:12:59 AM »
Just curious but why do you not want to add them to your project and why do you want to see them in the projects tool window?  Maybe you could create a new project for them and add it to your workspace.

IkerAriz

• Hero Points: 6
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 12:24:41 PM »
Here's one example of the use case I was referring to earlier... my project organizes tests with a directory structure like this:

Code: [Select]
tests/
    test_01/test.py
            large_txt_file
            small_file
    test_02/test.py
            some_binary
            small.csv

I currently add the "test.py" scripts to my project so that they can participate in searches and exclude the test input files as they don't contain code. However, excluding files from a project essentially "hides" them from view. This is quite inconvenient as the tests refer to the input files and it's often necessary to edit the inputs, confirm that they're actually used by a test, etc.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 12:37:18 AM »
Don't know if it helps but my xxutils macros have a command xopen-from-here that lets you open a file from the same folder as the current buffer.

https://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,11186.msg57320.html#msg57320

If you have only one project in your workspace, you could set that project to use a project specific tag file (in the project properties dialog) and add a second project for all the extra files.  Then instead of searching the workspace, do searches in the "current project".  You can also create a custom list of extensions to search in I think.