Author Topic: Comparing Slickedit and Eclipse  (Read 97 times)

williamsmith

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Comparing Slickedit and Eclipse
« on: July 14, 2018, 12:23:22 am »
hello,
I've been using Slickedit for about ten years. I really like it. Eclipse has almost become a standard in the Java community, so I think it might it might pay to learn a little bit of it to make transitioning to new jobs easier ( I own my own copy). My experience has been that bosses/coworkers are less hostile to me using Slickedit once they see what it can do and if they see that I can manipulate code their way on their computers when discussing a problem.

To that end I was wondering what features Eclipse has that Slickedit does not......or what features seem easier, more efficient in Eclipse.

william
Tutuapp 9apps free download Mobdro
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:58:37 pm by williamsmith »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 298
Re: Comparing Slickedit and Eclipse
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 02:04:12 pm »
For starters, the text editor in SlickEdit is faster and handles larger files (hex editing). When it comes to gluing build tools together, SlickEdit does a better job letting you hook in what you want (no one has to write a Java plugin first). The way SlickEdit tags source files means your source files don't have to compile in order for you to get useful tagging information. You can create a tag file for some library you're studying and add that as a language-specific tag file (files don't have to be in a project). In general, SlickEdit's tagging can handle larger projects. Eclipse is quite good at Java but not always so hot with other languages.

SlickEdit comes out of the box with support for a ton of languages and more language support is on the way. Eclipse will at least be really time consuming to get all the plugins added. Eclipse runs slower than SlickEdit (SlickEdit is highly optimized C++). Eclipse is quite slow on a Virtual Machine. SlickEdit has beautifiers for quite a few languages, some languages support beatifying as you type (semicolon and/or Tab key), directory aliases (ctrl-space expands directory aliases--I love these), dynamic surround (this is handy when you need it), can treat zip/tar/jar/gz/more as if they are directories and can read/search them.

SlickEdit has single file project support for a number of languages. This is great for debugging say Python/Perl scripts but also supports other languages.

SlickEdit also has emulations. In general, there are way more text editing commands/features in SlickEdit.

SlickEdit has a macro language where you can simply record a macro and it generates source code you can edit.

SlickEdit has a command line which is great for invoking commands which take arguments (maybe even your own).

I'm sure I haven't covered everything but this gives some good generalities.

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 257
Re: Comparing Slickedit and Eclipse
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 10:38:34 pm »
For which language are you trying to compare them?  Java only - or something else?