Author Topic: slick hang while I tried undo with a really big file loaded  (Read 786 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 177
  • Text
slick hang while I tried undo with a really big file loaded
« on: August 01, 2018, 11:46:45 pm »
Uploaded the DMP to jporkka-HangOnUndoInLargeFile

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 399
Re: slick hang while I tried undo with a really big file loaded
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 01:01:02 am »
Did you get any spill file I/O errors?

Looks like the spill file is being read from and it's about to return a read error. I don't really trust that assessment (hard to explain why).

Did you make a large modification that would generate a lot of undo information?

The default buffer cache size is 2 megabytes. With a large edit, a lot of undo information get spilled.

Can you reproduce this?

It might be better if we tried a similar edit/undo to cause the same problem.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 177
  • Text
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 06:08:17 pm »
I've not managed to repro this case.

AFAIK I haven't had any disk errors, nothing in the system event log about it either.

Where is the default location for the spill file? TEMP?
Recently I had D:\ get full, but C:\ has plenty of space and TEMP is on C: -- likely the large file I was working with was on D:

guth

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 7
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 06:43:13 pm »
I have had a problem as well. I had a 1.5 GB log file (a text file) and I wanted to empty it. So I did select-all and deleted everything. As I recall it, slick hung when performing this operation.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 08:34:40 pm »
I've not managed to repro this case.

AFAIK I haven't had any disk errors, nothing in the system event log about it either.

Where is the default location for the spill file? TEMP?
Recently I had D:\ get full, but C:\ has plenty of space and TEMP is on C: -- likely the large file I was working with was on D:

If you didn't specify a spill file path (which is the defualt), the TEMP env var is used. If that's blank, then TMP is used. If that's blank too, then the current directory is used.

If there is a read error, you should see a spill file I/O error message box or some kind of error message box.

What I was seeing would be explained by running out of disk space. However, it doesn't make sense that you weren't getting a message box and the stack dump should be during this message box. Maybe if you held down Esc, you wouldn't see the message box (not sure about that). 

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 08:37:17 pm »
I have had a problem as well. I had a 1.5 GB log file (a text file) and I wanted to empty it. So I did select-all and deleted everything. As I recall it, slick hung when performing this operation.

Was undo turned on?

guth

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 7
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 06:56:19 am »
Don't know, but I tried this now.

Create a large file with
Code: [Select]
perl -l -e "for($i=0;$i<100000000;$i++) {print '0123456789';}" > bigfile.txtOpen it with
Code: [Select]
"c:\program files\slickedit pro 23.0.0 beta1\win\vs" -sc c:\temp\newslick +new bigfile.txtSlick only consumes 100 Mb RAM. Now do a select-all and press backspace. Still seems to work ok. Now do a save. Slick consumes more and more memory. Now it is about 5.5 GB, and the application is unresponsive.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 12:29:06 pm »
Nice bug catch!!! It turns out the "Maximum size to backup" isn't smart enough. It only looks at the size of the file you are saving and NOT the size of the original file.

We will look into this

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:41:39 pm by Clark »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 04:46:31 pm »
"Maximum size to backup" now looks at the size of the file you are saving and the size of the original file.

Auto-restore will now apply large file settings (i.e. undo gets turned off if reload really large file etc.)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 05:27:44 pm by Clark »