Author Topic: minimap smooth scroll  (Read 1269 times)

IkerAriz

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
minimap smooth scroll
« on: August 06, 2018, 02:12:00 pm »
When scrolling through the minimap the editor buffer scrolls smoothly, but the minimap itself scrolls in large increments. Can smooth scrolling be used for both?

Thanks,
Iker

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 428
Re: minimap smooth scroll
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 02:45:15 pm »
I'm guessing you're using the mouse wheel in the minimap?

If that's the case, mouse wheel in the minimap is redirected to the edit window. In other words, it's like you're using the mouse wheel in the edit window and not the minimap.

Also, the way the minimap positions the elevator (minimap is a scroll bar with an elevator) makes any kind of smooth scrolling not possible. Although, we could support the minimap moving at the same time (it will still jump around). This would be a bit useless though since it would have to be turned off by default since "Delayed Minimap Updating for Faster Scrolling" is on by default (see minimap context menu).

IkerAriz

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 03:35:27 pm »
I'm left clicking and holding the highlighted box in the minimap to "grab" it, and then move it up and down. I was expecting the highlighted box to move smoothly with corresponding movement smoothly reflected in the editor window. With unsmooth jumps in the minimap I find it hard to orient myself after each movement (much like I would with a real map) which detracts significantly from the feature.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 184
  • Text
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 04:59:55 pm »
Try dragging the minimap really slowly.

I think some of the chunkiness is due to  refresh delay -- minimap doesn't update immediately even when dragging it. Seems to be maybe 1/2 second

Consider: If dragging the minimap scrolls the main window 1 line at a time, then the elevator in the map must also move 1 line at a time, or else it would be in the wrong position.

Maybe Slick should skip this delay when the elevator is being dragged?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 06:05:34 pm »
Turn off the "Delayed Minimap Updating for Faster Scrolling" option. This will force the minimap slider to update sooner.

I don't think everyone will want that on. Performance seems fine on Windows but on macOS it's pretty slow with high-resolution monitors.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 06:28:30 pm »
Maybe Slick should skip this delay when the elevator is being dragged?

Not sure if the "Delayed Minimap Updating for Faster Scrolling" option can be ignored for this. We will look into this.

IkerAriz

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 07:50:43 pm »
Disabling the update delay did the trick. Screen refresh performance not an issue so far (Ubuntu 16.04, display res 2560x1440).

Thanks,
Iker

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 09:24:08 pm »
Next beta will always update immediate (ignore the "Delayed Minimap Updating for Faster Scrolling" option) when dragging the minimap slider.

Performance doesn't appear to be a problem here (unlike scrolling with the cursor on macOS).