Author Topic: Information or feature request regarding assembly debugging  (Read 4212 times)

b

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 26
Information or feature request regarding assembly debugging
« on: August 07, 2018, 11:48:32 PM »
I would love to see a debug output window like exists for the compiler/build output window where I could interact with the debugger.

Presently, issuing debug-send-command <x y z...> works, but is tedious and unfortunately the output is sent to a dialogue window.   

Noting the conversation back in 2008 (https://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,3013.msg12389.html#msg12389), I can understand not wanting all of the chatty gdb communication.  However, an interactive console where what would be typed automatically is issued via debug-send-command(s) and only the resultant output of those manually typed commands is captured to the 'console' would greatly help and be even more relevant to the debug session.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
Re: Information or feature request regarding assembly debugging
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 04:57:20 PM »
We have a feature request filed for this one.  It's going to create problems and will be a maintenance nightmare, nobody will like reading the GDB MI output, and people will misuse it and complain that the debugger is left in an untenable state, nevertheless I do recognize that it needs to be done for some future release. 

Believe it or not, despite all this, it is high on our list of priorities, but other things are currently higher.

b

• Hero Points: 26
Re: Information or feature request regarding assembly debugging
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 05:06:56 PM »
Thanks. 

I could see it being a pain, which is why I suggested a restricted output of just the debug-send-command output and not all the MI output that SE issues and receives for its normal use.

Regardless, I look forward to seeing what gets implemented when it comes.   I'd love to use SE more for my debugging interface as it is excellent with what it does have implemented.  But for now I'll fall back to gdb (or other GUI tools on top of gdb).