Author Topic: attaching two tool windows  (Read 5695 times)

wbullaughey

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Re: attaching two tool windows
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 02:00:15 AM »
My smallest monitor resolution is 1366x768. I'm not trying to dock a tool window onto a normal editor window. I'm trying to combine several tool windows together with a tab for each. This only seems to work when they are on the primary monitor.  The cross shaped icon (cross shaped with 5 yellow boxes with the one in the middle being the one I want to pick) that needs to be selected always shows up on the primary monitor so if I'm trying to put the tool windows together on a secondary window I can't move the mouse to the icon. When I move the mouse off the secondary monitor the icon disappears.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 01:15:47 PM »
Have you tried making the low resolution monitor the primary monitor (just as a test) and dragging tool windows to the secondary monitor (one of your high dpi monitors)?  I'm wondering if macOS is doing something different with your hi dpi monitors. There's also a possibility you're using some macOS setting I'm not aware of but I still think it could have something to do with having a high dpi monitor as your primary monitor.

The fact that SlickEdit doesn't get the resolution right for some of your monitors is highly suspicious. I think this is the reason why you can only dock on the primary monitor. The test above should prove me right or wrong.

wbullaughey

• Community Member
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 09:57:53 AM »
Making the smallest monitor does not make it work. The only it works if the target window is on the primary monitor.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 01:26:10 AM »
Thanks

I'm still guessing it is related to having a higher DPI monitor (not just a 4k 40 inch monitor which we mostly have).

Do you have any additional low resolution monitors (low DPI is more important)? If so, try making the first low dpi monitor the primary monitor on the far left (leftmost in arrangement). Then make the second low dpi monitor to the right in arrangement to the low dpi primary monitor. The arrangement is very important. If you can dock to the second low dpi monitor, that absolute means the problem is the high DPI monitors you have. That also means that we should be able to reproduce this with a high dpi monitor.

wbullaughey

• Community Member
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 08:39:32 PM »
I don't have the correct interface dongles to connect another low resolution monitor.
I don't think it really has anything to do with my high resolution monitor. When I first reported the problem I wasn't using it. I just had the Laptop plus the low resolution monitor. In that case it only worked when the docking was done on the primary monitor independent of whether the primary monitor was the laptop or the low resolution monitor. It also does not mater if its left or right.
Do you have the capability to do screen sharing so I can demonstrate it live for you?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 09:57:56 PM »
Don't need to screen share for this situation. We definitely understand what you're seeing.

The fact that SlickEdit isn't getting the resolutions right, is very suspicious.

Another thing I didn't mention is what Qt has to do with the Y coordinate. In order for the Y coordinate to work the same on all platforms, Qt has to make 0,0 be at the top-left and not bottom-left (which would be what the mac does). If Qt sees the wrong display height, bad things are going to happen. This is why without two monitors where Qt recognizes the screen resolutions, there's no way to perfectly test this.

We will keep doing some testing here. The end goal is for us to be able to reproduce this here.  Even if this is a Qt bug, I suspect we can fix this one.