Author Topic: list-buffers in SE 12 is slow  (Read 5803 times)

alex

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
list-buffers in SE 12 is slow
« on: June 01, 2007, 02:42:52 PM »
First off, I love the new list-buffers.  The functionality is great, except that it seems to get slower over the course of a session.  When I first start SE, it's super-fast even with 350 buffers open.  Then once I start editing a few files, it starts to take 1-2 seconds to start up.  That's a bit slow for my taste.

Also, it seems to also take a fair bit of time for the file to actually load once I select it (several seconds, again).

My customized list-buffers from SE 11, which has roughly the same functionality, seems to be faster at loading the list of buffers after about half an hour of usage and much much faster at opening the buffer once I've selected it (basically instant).

What would cause list-buffers to slow down over time when a large number of buffers is open, and what would make it so slow to change buffers?  (I do have a macro that runs on the buffer add event, but that doesn't hurt my old list-buffers implementation.)  The only other thing that I've noticed is that my implementation is somewhat slower at doing filtering than the new list-buffers; I'd be willing trade a slower filter for a faster startup (or at least I'd like to know if this is where the tradeoff is coming from).

I'd really prefer to use the new list-buffers implementation rather than my own hacked up implementation because its, well, supported, and because of the faster search, but responsiveness on load is very important to me.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 03:59:59 PM by alex »

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: list-buffers in SE 12 is slow
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 05:35:50 PM »
Yes, indeed, there were some performance issues in v12.0. Our latest update, v12.0.1 contains some performance enhancements that should fix your problems.  Look for download instructions in this post: http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=1581.0.

--Scott

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 05:56:19 PM »
"some performance enhancements" is a big understatement.  Check it out.  It should work well with 40,000 files and the filename searching supports wildcards (i.e. "a*b").

alex

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 03:15:13 PM »
So I tried upgrading to 12.0.1--upgrade seems to work pretty well, except that list-buffers is still slow.  It comes up kind-of fast, but there's still a pretty noticeable drag, and switching buffers is still not instant in the sense that, while the active buffer changes immediately, the dialog takes about 1-2 seconds to undisplay.  I'm starting to wonder if this might some kind of window painting issue?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 01:45:53 PM »
This sounds very odd.  I can't reproduce.  It's always snappy on my windows and linux machines even with a test workspace with 40,000 files.  I tried reproducing this with the Files tool window docked and undocked.

alex

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 03:26:57 PM »
Hmm, I tried this on another machine with same processor and lots of RAM with about 350 files, and it was quite snappy as well.  (I also couldn't reproduce the weird interaction I mentioned in another thread, with Office 2k7, on that machine either.)

It sounds like there's something about that specific machine that I haven't figured out yet.