Author Topic: Very weird hang  (Read 2126 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 210
  • Text
Very weird hang
« on: August 17, 2018, 09:52:51 PM »
So while editing a python script, Slickedit hung.
I tried attaching the VisualStudio debugger, and hit pause.
But, it shows no stack trace :-(
It does show a bunch of threads.
Then I noticed, in the VS Attach dialog it shows VS.exe is a managed process.
I started a 2nd instance of VS to compare.

The 2nd instance doesn't appear to be managed code.

I'll upload the minidump, but I don't know if you can do anything with it.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: Very weird hang
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 03:30:55 PM »
The main thread is running (not suspended or in an obvious hang loop). The code is in a tagging function that is very commonly called (like when you mouse over a symbol but this was a keypress --looks like Enter key). Did you press Enter when you got this hang? I'm not obviously seeing a call from the python enter key processing into tagging (although I could be missing it).

I was hoping to determine what Slick-C code was running but the couple globals I needed were just null (not sure it would really help though). I don't know why some Visual Studio dumps don't show all values but it's really annoying. As a test, I set a breakpoint in the same function in a release build and I could see these globals just fine.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 05:38:57 PM »
Did you try interrupting the interpreter?  In CUA mode, the key combination is Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F2  (Halt Slick-C macro that is executing. Use this to terminate infinite loops).  Look in the Emulations tables in the Help to find what it key combination to use in your emulation/platform.  Sometimes you need to hold these keys down for a while before the break is caught by the interpreter.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 06:17:23 PM »
Yes, I tried Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F2, though I didn't know that holding it down for awhile made a difference - I'll try that in the future.

I can't remember for sure if I pressed enter or not when it hung - wasn't expecting a hang!

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 06:28:50 PM »
Yes, you do need to hold those keys down for a while. Do you remember if this hang happened when you pressed Enter. I'm just wonder if that piece of the debug information was correct since some globals were missing for me to verify it.