Author Topic: Ability to search references output - or display it like search results  (Read 2175 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
I did a reference search (Ctrl+/) on a symbol that has many many cross-references listed in the References tool window.

I want to perform a text search on these results to see if any of them have the word "dump" in them.

But the way cross-references are displayed, I don't see how I can do that.

Even better, and I've asked for something like this before, I'd like to have a way to get the cross-references output to be similar to the output of "list all occurrences" text searches, where I can see one double-clickable line that shows where the line of the file where the reference was found, its context, and as it is text output I'd be able to copy/paste it into a new buffer and then search it (or search it directly like in the search results window). Extend this to having multiple tabs of cross-reference search output like we have multiple tabs for search results.

rowbearto

Re: Ability to search references output - or display it like search results
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 04:19:43 PM »
Or perhaps some way to do a cross-reference search and have the results displayed into the existing "Search results" tool window, reusing all that infrastructure to show the line the reference is on, its context, etc.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 08:28:29 PM »
For those rare cases, you can right click on the References tree control and select "Contents > Save...", it will put the results into a text file.  You can search within that.  I guess we could do something similar (Contents > Send to Search Results) to dump the References information to the Search Results window.

rowbearto

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 08:34:16 PM »
Thanks Dennis for the tip about saving it!

I would really love it if you could implement a "Contents->Send to Search Results window"! Where I could see the context and a one-liner just like regular search results. If I could even bind that to a key it, or have a button I can click one time, to send it to the next incremental search tab, that would be super!