Author Topic: Remove files from tagfile by regular expression  (Read 6126 times)

forbin

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
  • "Never design a system without an 'OFF' switch..."
Remove files from tagfile by regular expression
« on: August 24, 2018, 05:26:26 PM »
Greetings, all.

I rely heavily on SlickEdit's tagging feature.  Right now, I am very often needing to look at the code supplied with the compiler libraries (C++, Visual Studio 2017, not that it's important).  Because I'm browsing those huge libraries (as opposed to the local codebase), every time I want to visit the implementation for a function or method with a common name -- such as Update() -- I have to wade through dozens of similarly-named functions I'm not interested in.

I've concluded that maybe the easiest solution to this problem is to remove the files I'm never going to use from the compiler tagfile.  For example, I know that in this project I'm never going to need DAO.  So I might as well remove all the DAO files from the tagfile so their functions don't show up in the list when I press Ctrl-period.

However, wading through the huge list of files in the Context Tagging interface and removing them by hand is not my idea of a good time.  I thought I might write a macro that would allow me to specify a regex to match, and would remove either the files or the tags themselves from the tagfile.  There only appears to be a C API for working with the tagfiles, though.  I'd like to avoid writing a fullblown C or C++ application just to do this.

Any ideas?

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Re: Remove files from tagfile by regular expression
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 12:26:44 PM »
There's a slick C API for tagging functions. Help -> macro functions by category -> Tagging Functions.