Author Topic: Pinning Slickedit to the task bar  (Read 762 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 184
  • Text
Pinning Slickedit to the task bar
« on: September 04, 2018, 04:52:02 pm »
I usually keep Slick pinned to the taskbar in position 4.
This lets me do <Windows>-4 to start slick or bring it to front.

Normally when Slick is actually running the Slick icon in the taskbar is underlined.

During the beta I've had the problem where Slick also gets a 2nd entry on the taskbar - as if it is a different program.
It doesn't always do this, and I don't have an exact repro - usually I don't notice right away because it doesn't really hurt any slick functionality.

After installing each beta I have to unpin the old version of Slick and pin the new one - since each beta has a different path.
I have not uninstalled the old version, but the new version is first in the path.

Today it happened right away - I hadn't even run vsdiff or anything else that might be another top level window - I just started slick and loaded a workspace. When I tried to repro it though, it didn't happen.

Code: [Select]
C:\Users\jporkka>where vs
C:\Program Files\SlickEdit Pro 23.0.0 Beta3\win\vs.exe
C:\Program Files\SlickEdit Pro 23.0.0 Beta2\win\vs.exe
C:\Program Files\SlickEdit Pro 23.0.0 Beta1\win\vs.exe
C:\Program Files\SlickEdit Pro 22.0.2\win\vs.exe

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 137
Re: Pinning Slickedit to the task bar
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 04:58:51 pm »
Could it be that it shows a separate window when there is a vsapi.dll window ("say" window)?

jporkkahtc

• Text
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 06:05:43 pm »
Yes it does - "say" gets another task bar icon - but Slick in position 4 still exists and is underlined and attached to the main slick window.

In the problem I describe the Slick in position four loses the underline - so Windows doesn't think that the Slick main window belongs to the pinned task bar icon.

This does not happen when I run "vs +new" - both instances of Slick are merged into the one icon as expected.

If I run a different version of slick with vs+new, then the new instance does get a separate icon - also expected.

In fact, to fake-repro the problem do this:
1. Pin "C:\Program Files\SlickEdit Pro 23.0.0 Beta3\win\vs.exe" to the task bar.
2. Close all instances of Slick.
3. From the command line, run "C:\Program Files\SlickEdit Pro 22.0.2\win\vs.exe"

Now the taskbar should have two Slickedit icons, the one you pinned and the one currently running.

4. Click the Pinned Slickedit -- the old instance of slick is brought to front -- because that is what "vs.exe" does when explorer runs it.

Remember: This is a fake-repro to demonstrate how the taskbar appears when the real problem happens.

jporkkahtc

• Text
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 12:55:12 am »
OK, so I noticed it was doing it now.
See attached
the left icon is slick at position #4 on the taskbar - this is where I have it pinned.
The right one is the running instance - not pinned.
Yet, when I right-click context menu on the right one, "unpin from the taskbar" is an option.
It doesn't do anything though.

The left icon does *not* have any recents.
The right icon does have a list of recents, but none of them work.
(When I pick one Explorer complains that it doesn't exist and offers to remove it from the list).