Author Topic: Extensionless files missing from SmartOpen  (Read 2644 times)

rjpontefract

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 10
Extensionless files missing from SmartOpen
« on: September 07, 2018, 01:04:05 AM »
I use the SmartOpen window to browse and open files that aren't in the workspace.  Files without an extension, notable Makefile, aren't listed.  This works OK in VS 2017.

This was found using Beta 3 on MacOS 10.13.6.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: Extensionless files missing from SmartOpen
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 03:12:10 AM »
SmartOpen is mostly for files in the workspace. Other files are only listed if they are in the current directory, in the directory of the current edit window, a file you already have open, or one of the files in history (those at the bottom of the File menu). SmartOpen does not currently scan your hard drives for files. However, we've been thinking about extending it to some configurable directory trees.

rjpontefract

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 04:11:05 AM »
Perhaps I have the terminology wrong.  I'm using the Open tool window with the directory listing in the bottom pane and the file listing in the top pane.  This window has always shown me all the files on the hard disk no matter of their relationship to a project.  In previous versions of VS I could see files without an extension, but now such files aren't shown.

I referred to it as SmartOpen as that's the window that I get when I select File/Open and select SmartOpen.  That dialog is confusing as it refers to the Open Toolbar.  There is no Open Toolbar, at least not under the View/Toolbars menu.  It does exist as a Tool Window under the View/Tool Windows menu.

I can change the directory to /etc and in VS2017 I can see and open all of the files with no extension.  In VS2018 those files aren't listed.

What is wrong with my understanding of this?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 04:22:35 AM »
You should see the same files listed for v23 as you do for v22. Please make sure you are testing the exact same search in both. Start with a clean config (vs +new -sc <newconfigdir>). That way, the file history should be empty.

rjpontefract

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 04:27:27 AM »
When I start VS2018 with a clean configuration, I do see all of the files in /etc, including the ones without extensions.  The configuration was migrated from VS2017 which can see all of the files.  What configuration option(s) should I be checking that would affect this?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 01:16:44 PM »
If you click on the "Options" hyperlink at the top right of the open tool window, that will show you all the options.

rjpontefract

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 07:44:01 AM »
I compared the options that I have with those that are set when I start with a new configuration and they are the same.  Yet, with a new configuration I do see files without an extension and with my existing configuration I don't.

Is there anywhere else I can look for options that might affect this?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 12:38:19 PM »
If you still have your problematic user.cfg.xml, you can post it as an attachment and we can try to reproduce the problem here. 

rjpontefract

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 11:43:32 PM »
Thanks for the offer to reproduce this issue.  I suspect you have more pressing things to do during the beta period than looking at this minor issue.

I renamed the current configuration and had beta 4 reimport the configuration from VS2017 and I no longer see the issue.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 12:13:22 AM »
Glad you were able to work around it. If it comes up again, post your user.cfg.xml. Yes, we are pretty busy right now  ;D