Author Topic: backspace key not assigned for Ada files  (Read 5366 times)

witness9

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
backspace key not assigned for Ada files
« on: June 05, 2007, 03:25:12 PM »
I just upgraded to SlickEdit 2007 (WinXP SP2) from v11 and my backspace key is unassigned when editing Ada files.  Other file types seem unaffected. 

I checked the 'Redefine Common Keys' dialog and backspace seems to be set to linewrap-rubout.  What is key... shows this is the assignment in other file types, but it shows backspace is unassigned in Ada files.

Has anyone else seen this?  How can I fix this?

P.S. Enter key behaves the same!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 07:37:17 PM by witness9 »

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: backspace key not assigned for Ada files
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 08:20:03 PM »
Is this version 12.0.0.0 or 12.0.1.0?  I'm not seeing anything obviously wrong, it worked in testing, something could have happened when you transferred configuration from v11.

You could try reloading the Ada module.  From the main menu, Macro > Load Module... .  You'll be prompted for a filename, from the SlickEdit installation directory and select macros\ada.e.  If that does not work, you can try starting with a default config and see if that works.  You can find the location of the current configuration directory from Help > About... .  You can rename the existing configuration directory, and restart SlickEdit, and new default configuration will be created for you.

witness9

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 01:36:09 PM »
Thanks Lee.  I have 12.0.0.0.  We're on a closed network, so getting updates is slow.

I tried the config rename without renaming my 11.0.2 folder and it worked the same.  Then I renamed my 11.0.2 folder and the keys work ok. 

witness9

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 03:16:08 PM »
A diff of vusrdefs.e shows a line as shown below in the new file that is not in the old.
def 'ENTER'= ada_enter;
There is no similar difference re: BACKSPACE.

This is not a file I should edit, right?

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 130
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 04:40:07 PM »
That is fine.  For each document mode, we will have key bindings that will that assist in syntax expansion, indenting, smart tab, smart paste, and then fall through to the default key handler.  ada_enter command does do syntax expansion and indenting for Ada mode, and then falls through to the default key command for the 'ENTER' key.  It is also possible to override or completely unbind a key for a specific mode, but we don't do this by default.

Was there a binding in ada_keys for 'BACKSPACE' in the previous defs file? There not supposed to be, and that could have caused the problem.   It's possible that just reloading the ada module in the SlickEdit macros would have fixed the problem, but if starting with a fresh configuration directory fixed the problem, I wouldn't bother going back to the old config.

I can't advocate editing the vusrdefs.e file in the configuration directory.  It's not recommended.

witness9

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 05:05:18 PM »
There was no binding in ada_keys for 'BACKSPACE' in either defs file.

I read somewhere that deleting only the .sta file could help in some cases, so I tried that (after saving the config folder) and it seems to have fixed the problem.  I had to recreate my Ada tags, but most other config options and histories seem to have been preserved.