Author Topic: vsdiff broken  (Read 9946 times)

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Re: vsdiff broken
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 11:02:44 PM »
Also, after switching from multiple monitors to a single screen (moving from a docking station with 2 monitors to stand along laptop) when running the script the diff window comes up off the screen. I have to hit Alt+space and then do a move to get it back on the screen.

That will have to be looked into for a hotfix for a point release.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 11:09:36 PM »
Regarding the stack, could you upload your user.cfg.xml to support?

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 11:30:16 PM »
Do you have source diff on?

Are you moving changes left to right or right to left? We are seeing some funny things, but no Slick-C stacks so far.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 11:31:53 PM by Dan »

lwaynej

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 04:21:28 PM »
It happens intermittently. I also saw a similar crash when doing a block select.

If I click through the dialog boxes enough times the app eventually crashes.
Where/how do I collect the windows equivalent of a core file?
I won't have time to re-install and try again until the end of the week.

also, I tried uninstalling all previous version of the edit and deleting all the settings for this version in my slickedit settings folder.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 04:24:58 PM »
You would have to attach to the editor with Visual Studio and save a dump file.

We made several fixes involved with this over the weekend.  I'm not sure the dump file will help because it's pretty far down the line from the original Slick-C stack.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 04:32:28 PM by Dan »

Mike

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 21
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 04:39:37 PM »
If you have a core to send to us, there is a 50MB file size limit on our end, so if the compressed size is larger than that, it will need to be split.
If you upload it, please use the following link and then reply to this topic on the forum (or message us) when the upload is complete. (We aren't auto-notified of uploads.)
http://support.slickedit.com/index.php?case=lwaynej

sigmund

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 9
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2019, 11:05:03 AM »
I also have problems with vsdiff from SlickEdit Pro 2018 (v23.0.0.11 32-bit), please see attachment diff_broken.png.

The source files old.js and new.js are attached.

It works fine with vsdiff from SlickEdit Pro 22.0.2, please see attachment diff_working.png.

I must say that in general I am not very happy with the diff quality of vsdiff:
  • it is non-deterministic in the sense that the same diff will be displayed differently depending on where in the file it occurs
  • it has no awareness of syntax, e.g. it will happily split a function with no changes if just a tiny part of a newly added function matches the start/end of the old function
  • it has poor understanding of changes in indentation

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2019, 11:08:28 AM »
These issues will be addressed.  Any samples you can send will help (I'll make a note of the code in this picture).  Probably best to DM them to me.

Kristen

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 8
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 09:59:32 AM »
I too am disappointed by DIFF.  I had a massive job to do modifying old code and checking into SVN and having been a long time SlickEdit user (I probably upgraded from Brief in the ... what ... 80's?) I decided to download latest version to replace my 2002's Version 7.0.

Setting DIFFzilla as the SVN (command line) difference tool was massively slower than old version ... but I got around that by using SVN checking from within SlickEdit, which is a great improvement ...

But the differencing was poor compared to old version.  Lots of much-worse-than-before realignment-after-difference which made it much harder to compare old/new code.

But, much more horrific, after a couple of days of comparing thousands of files, I found some comparisons that were missed altogether. That came to light because a directory-compare found half a dozen files that had differences in before/after versions, but when opened in DIFFzilla it said there were no differences (when actually there were).

This brings into question the thousands of files which I had compared, which did have differences, but maybe there were additional differences on those files that were skipped / missed and therefore I did not review?

#1 image: (pink = proprietary code hidden). The two marked lines do not show as differences at all. (I copied a small portion to separate files to see if I could isolate a small test-case, but unfortunately they then matched correctly)

#2 This is probably just a display bug, I think the alignment of "imaginary line" was correctly identified against "--DELNOW" comment line, but as consequence of the issue it has mucked up the vertical alignment and display (I checked for rogue spaces etc. and there were none, WinDiff found no difference except the "--DELNOW" line

#3 My settings (in case I have got something selected / not-selected which might be allowing within-comment to be ignored or similar)

Kristen

• Community Member
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 10:02:37 AM »
Sorry, forgot to include version no. etc.

SlickEdit Pro 2018 (v23.0.0.11 64-bit)
Build Date: October 30, 2018
Emulation: CUA
OS Version: 10.00.0 
Memory: 79% Load, 12978MB/16343MB Physical, 43811MB/52169MB Page File, 5273MB/134217727MB Virtual
Shell Information: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /q
Screen Size: 1440 x 2560, 1440 x 2560
Project Type: Single file project - Other
Language: .TXT (Plain Text)
Encoding: Automatic
Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\SlickEdit Pro 23.0.0\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,147491MB free)
Configuration Directory: C:\Users\xxx\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\23.0.0\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,147491MB free)
Migrated from: C:\Users\xxx\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\21.0.2\
Spill File: C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\$slk.27688 (non-removable drive,NTFS,147491MB free)

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 11:45:46 AM »
I'm really upset about the cases where it said lines match that don't.  There are some little things that are "suboptimal" that I'm disappointed in but will fix.  This takes top priority.

I know proprietary code is always a thing.  Any sample you can send me will help.  If you PM me for an email address, that is the best way to get them to me if you have any.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 01:21:58 PM »
I too am disappointed by DIFF.  I had a massive job to do modifying old code and checking into SVN and having been a long time SlickEdit user (I probably upgraded from Brief in the ... what ... 80's?) I decided to download latest version to replace my 2002's Version 7.0.

Setting DIFFzilla as the SVN (command line) difference tool was massively slower than old version ... but I got around that by using SVN checking from within SlickEdit, which is a great improvement ...

But the differencing was poor compared to old version.  Lots of much-worse-than-before realignment-after-difference which made it much harder to compare old/new code.

But, much more horrific, after a couple of days of comparing thousands of files, I found some comparisons that were missed altogether. That came to light because a directory-compare found half a dozen files that had differences in before/after versions, but when opened in DIFFzilla it said there were no differences (when actually there were).

This brings into question the thousands of files which I had compared, which did have differences, but maybe there were additional differences on those files that were skipped / missed and therefore I did not review?

#1 image: (pink = proprietary code hidden). The two marked lines do not show as differences at all. (I copied a small portion to separate files to see if I could isolate a small test-case, but unfortunately they then matched correctly)

#2 This is probably just a display bug, I think the alignment of "imaginary line" was correctly identified against "--DELNOW" comment line, but as consequence of the issue it has mucked up the vertical alignment and display (I checked for rogue spaces etc. and there were none, WinDiff found no difference except the "--DELNOW" line

#3 My settings (in case I have got something selected / not-selected which might be allowing within-comment to be ignored or similar)

Regarding the first picture where it claimed lines matched that didn't, this is one long continuous comment?  And the blacked out sections actually match?

Do the new line characters of the files match?  Are the files Unicode?  If so, what encoding?  Are they both the same encoding?

Was this launched from the editor, vsdiff, or multi-file diff.  So far I can't reproduce either of these.  I used the attached sample to simulate your code.

If it was launched from vsdiff, there is a possibility it has a different config, but I can tell from looking at it that Source Diff wasn't on, and this was the thing that I was most concerned about.

Thanks,

Dan
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 02:30:05 PM by Dan »

Kristen

• Community Member
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 03:23:58 PM »
@Dan Thanks for you candour. Long time fan of VSE so if I'll be happy to help with getting it fixed. I've sent you a PM.

As best as I can tell the files are identical (line endings etc.) except for the commented out lines, but I'll double check that and send you some samples to review.

I did have a fiddle with SourceDiff .. I wonder if it was possible that I changed it back (to OFF) in a DIFF launched from VSE and then didn't exit VSE before doing the DIFF (direct from external route) such that the settings had not been saved?  If so my screen-shot of my DIFF settings will be worth nothing!

Can't remember exactly anymore ... either way, I'll sort out a repeatable test and send to you

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2019, 12:02:06 AM »
This will be fixed for a point release.  In the meantime, you can increase your Wrap line length (Tools>Options>File Options>Load>Wrap line length).  The sample you sent me has at least one 8k line, so I would suggest going over 8000.

The files with the wrapped long lines are the culprit of the problem where it said lines matched that didn't.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2019, 12:31:56 PM »
The long line problem is fixed in 23.0.1.  I'm looking into the sub-optimal diffs (the ones that differ from 22.0).

Thanks for your patience.