Author Topic: High CPU utilization during a build - beta4  (Read 1676 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
High CPU utilization during a build - beta4
« on: September 17, 2018, 03:29:28 PM »
Look for buildhighcpu.tar.gz on support.

I'm on Linux x64, Centos 7.2, beta4.

Apply my user.cfg.xml (included in tarball) and open the workspace.

Before doing the build, make sure you are putting compile output in editor window: "Send compile output to editor window".

Also, before doing the build, run "top" in a different window so you can see the CPU utilization of "vs_exe". Keep the top window visible and put SE in the foreground.

Now start the build. It prints quite a bit of stuff and then pauses at a very long link (simulated here with "sleep"). Observe CPU utilization in the visible top window (but keep SE in foreground) during this pause for the long link. You will see that CPU utilization is high (using up at least 1 core fully). Using SE is also very slow at this time, I suspect the main thread is busy repeating error parsing even though no new information is in the build window.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 04:40:55 PM by rowbearto »

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: High CPU utilization during a build - beta4
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 08:53:48 PM »
I was not able to reproduce what you are describing on any of our test Linux or Windows environments with the attached workspace or user.cfg.xml in Beta 4.  I am not seeing anything after a brief CPU spike during the search phase of error parsing.  You do expect to see CPU usage during error parsing, but I don't see anything abnormal or any expressions that may be problematic.

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 132
Re: High CPU utilization during a build - beta4
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 10:46:33 PM »
It seems to have stopped consuming lots of CPU for me now, but it still uses like 7-8% CPU on a 4 core system. But it also seems to be consuming that much when not running the build. It was happening often for me the other day and SE was getting real slow.

I think I had 2 instances of SE running at the time. I tried that again but it didn't reproduce. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if it happens again.