SlickEdit Product Discussion > SlickEdit®

Building Ada from SE

(1/1)

rgloden:
Setup: SE Pro Ver 21.0.0.12 64-Bit on Linux.  (I can't run the Beta on production environment but I thought that maybe if I ask now ... it might get fixed in Beta if not already fixed).

In the past, I've created a custom "Compile2" and "Build2" Tools (e.g. Tool name) to point to my custom scripts since the standard "Compile" and "Build" don't seem to be customizable. Decided to dig in and observed the following using the "GNU Ada Compiler" project type.

1) The "Compile" command is using "gnat" instead of "gcc".  I didn't find a way to change it except directly modifying the vpj file or the prjtemplate.  Also wasn't obvious how to remap "Shift-F10" if I were to create my own "Compile2" definition.

2) Ada builds are a little strange ... so didn't expect SE to Build an Ada project.  But I wanted to change the "Build" command instead of introducing a new Build command so I can take advantage of the mapped "Ctrl-M" sequence.  Didn't seem to find a way to change the default "Build" to call my script except to directly modifying the vpj file.  Also wasn't obvious how to remap the "Ctrl-M" if I were to define my own Build2 definition.

3) Since I have a custom build script, need to change the Execute and Debug commands to point to my executable ... but not sure how except to modify the vpj file.  Also, the vpj specifies a "_gnuc_options_form Run/Debug" Dialog associated with the Options Button (Project Properties->Tools->Execute) but it results in a "GNU C Options" dialogue with "Link" tab which doesn't seem related to Run/Debug.

4) The special "Rules" for *.adb seems to prevent files with the "adb" extension from compiling for me (didn't seem to even try to compile).  If I change *.adb rule to *.adbxxx then files with adb extension will compile for me.

Clark:
Looks like the gnat tool chain changed. Makes this project template pretty useless.

We will look into this and see if we can make a project template that works. I can't say if we will get this done in time for the v23 release without knowing the difficulty level.

rgloden:
A quick / helpful fix to the "GNU Ada Compiler" template (to make life easier for my "new" users) would be:
   - Change "gnat" to "gcc" for the compiler command
   - Remove the "special" compiler rules for "*.ada" and "*.adb"
   - Change Build/Rebuild/Execute to allow users to specify a custom "Command line".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version