Author Topic: Warning when search refs <current project> when file is not in <current project>  (Read 2610 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
Sometimes I narrow the cross-reference search to <current project>, but then I later forget to switch it to <current workspace> when I search a file in a different project of my workspace.

It would be nice to get a warning message if I try to find references in a file that is not in <current project> when references tool window has "Look in" set to <current project>. It would have saved me much time.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
But couldn't a file in a different project reference symbols in your current project ?  I don't see how to justify a warning for what is indistinguishable from a valid use-case.

rowbearto

Perhaps make it an option then? In my usage I think it would be very rare that I would want to search <current project> on a file that is not in the <current project> with symbols in the <current project>, so I'd rather take the hit to get the warning sometimes in order to not waste time when I should really be searching <current workspace>. Usually when I limit my search to <current project> it is because I want to limit a lengthy reference search with symbols that have a common name in that actual project.

Dennis

Would a "Look in" option of "<Same Project as Current File>" be helpful to you?  I could file a feature request for that easily enough.

rowbearto

Look in: <Same Project as Current File> would be very helpful, thanks!

This would also help with the issue that I raised here: https://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,16372.0/nowap.html

Dennis

The new option will be in beta6, and it will also be supported by the Find Symbol tool window.  I am also adding a second new option for References (which Find Symbol already had).

Look in:   <All Tag Files>
              <Current File>
              <All Open Files> *new*
              <Current Project>
              <Projects Containing Current File>  *new*
              <Current Workspace>

rowbearto

Thanks Dennis!