Author Topic: auto restore on crash?  (Read 2106 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 210
  • Text
auto restore on crash?
« on: October 04, 2018, 08:11:07 PM »
Seems like Slick used to be better about auto-restoring on crash for things like the set of files I have open.

Is there some option that must be set for this to work?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
Re: auto restore on crash?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 02:45:48 PM »
Do you have auto-save on, SlickEdit crashes, and then you're restarting? I tried it and it worked for me.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 05:05:39 PM »
OK, I got it working.

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 132
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 05:43:25 PM »
To me, the help for AutoSave is not clear that it helps to recover after a crash, in the tools->options dialog it says:

"When set to On, AutoSave is enabled. AutoSave creates temporary files in the autosave directory of the user config. These files are deleted thenext time AutoSave occurs (on save or file close) and when the editor is closed."

What are these temporary files that are created? Are they unsaved files that I was editing? Or are they configuration files, such as keeping the list of most recently opened workspaces?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 08:24:05 PM »
Docs could explain more.

The "autosave" directory stores files that represent unsaved file contents and not any configuration data. Temp files are always needed for untitled files. Temp files aren't always needed for modified named files (not needed if your autosave directory is set to same name).

When autosave occurs, the auto-restore file (vrestore.slk) is written in such a way that SlickEdit knows it is auto-restoring from an AutoSave state and knows the temp names/file names.