Author Topic: xretrace, xxutils and a few other things  (Read 3059 times)

Graeme

  • Senior Community Member
  • Posts: 2422
  • Hero Points: 320
Re: xretrace, xxutils and a few other things
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 12:16:30 pm »
Thanks for trying it.  I'll send off a request to slick support at some point.  You're welcome to upload your modified files here if you feel like it.

Regarding the github repo.  jporkkahtc mentioned his github repo here - nearly two years ago.  Time flies.
https://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,15156.msg57556.html#msg57556
https://github.com/jporkka/slickMacros.git

It looks like there is one folder for each different "macro/ utility"  -  would that work for you ??  Everything really needs to be tagged with the version of slickedit it works for so you can download the right version of every macro in one go.  Then there needs to be a loader utility that lets people choose which macros to "install" - or at least some easy way of installing.

BTW - I gave up coding on Linux because I couldn't get xretrace to run without crashing/killing slickedit.  We're using centos in vmware like you.


rowbearto

  • Senior Community Member
  • Posts: 1598
  • Hero Points: 116
Re: xretrace, xxutils and a few other things
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 03:22:15 pm »
It would be annoying to use anything other than its own repo due to the requirement for xretrace directory being directly under the config directory.

By having dedicated xretrace repo, I can git clone it right into my config directory and get xretrace subdirectory. Then if I have changes, I can edit them right there and the push back to git. Then when I was done in Linux and wanted to try it in windows, I easily cloned it under my windows config dir and got working very fast.

If I use a common repository, the xretrace files will not be under the config directory - cloning directly under there won't put them in the right directory. So I would clone somewhere else. Then I would have to copy the files over - which is error prone. Then if I make changes to the files, I have to make sure to copy them back to the git repo for pushing, this is also error prone.

This is why I prefer a dedicated repository for now.

If being a subdirectory of config dir was not a requirement, or if the combined repo could be cloned directly under the config directory and the xretrace macro files could be updated to take this into account, then it would be better. But I don't have the time to invest right now to change this, or to create a loader utility. Perhaps if someone took the time to do that then we could have a common repo, but I can't do it at the moment. So I would propose to make my private repo public and then when someone can invest in making it so that one can clone the combined repo directly under the config directory, or make xretrace usable outside the config directory, then can move it into a common repo.

xretrace works fine for me in Linux x64, CentOS under SlickEdit v24 with my changes. I had to make another minor change to get it to work, change all the #import "dlinklist.e" to #import 'DLinkList.e' as Linux file system is case sensitive.

rowbearto

  • Senior Community Member
  • Posts: 1598
  • Hero Points: 116
Re: xretrace, xxutils and a few other things
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2019, 02:16:22 pm »
I've attached a xretrace.zip file with the modifications I've made (mentioned in earlier posts) to get xretrace working in my Linux x64 environment.

Graeme

  • Senior Community Member
  • Posts: 2422
  • Hero Points: 320
Re: xretrace, xxutils and a few other things
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2019, 10:20:00 pm »
Thanks.  I'll have time to look at it in a week or so.  I'm keen to get it on github and I'll look at making it location independent too - it's difficult, if not impossible, to find the location of the source code at runtime from within the macro unless it's in a "known location".  There's a problem to find as well - step through modified lines sometimes goes to the end of a file when it shouldn't  - it started going wrong only a few months ago.