Author Topic: RC3 Mac, hex view looks like braille - totally unuseable!  (Read 6665 times)

tim_k

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 12
  • -Tim
RC3 Mac, hex view looks like braille - totally unuseable!
« on: October 23, 2018, 06:58:38 PM »
I just installed RC2 and saw this, went to the boards and saw RC3 was available. I installed it and it's the same.

With any file open (even an unsaved buffer with no extension) and click the hex editing tool to display in hex and get what looks like a visual representation of braille. (see attached image).

This does not show up in Linux RC2. Haven't tried RC3 yet.

-Tim

tim_k

• -Tim
Re: RC3 Mac, hex view looks like braille - totally unuseable!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 07:07:24 PM »
OK, so I did a little digging after my initial panic  ::), and it is braille! For some reason the font preferences for Hex Source windows got changed to Apple Braille. I changed it to something normal and it's fine. So the bug isn't that it's displaying braille, but that it changed my font preference.

-Tim

tim_k

• -Tim
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 07:13:03 PM »
So a bit more digging and it turns out that 2017 also had the hex editor font set to Apple Braille (no clue why/how). BUT it doesn't render as braille, it looks more like menlo. Further investigation shows that none of the symbolic fonts (symbols, wingdings, emoji, etc) render as symbols. They're all converted to a normal looking font. In 2018, the symbol fonts are rendered as symbols.

So I guess it's a non-bug after all <sigh>

-Tim

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 09:20:59 PM »
This may be related to the fact that V23 supports font ligatures on macOS (assuming you are on macOS).
"It's a feature."

tim_k

• -Tim
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 09:26:21 PM »
Sounds reasonable, and yes I'm on MacOS.

-Tim