Author Topic: "Never reload selected" not working in 23.0.0.10  (Read 2765 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
"Never reload selected" not working in 23.0.0.10
« on: October 25, 2018, 01:54:55 PM »
I have a log file that is constantly getting appended. Even though I click "Never reload selected", it seems to work for a few minutes, but then I start getting prompted to reload the file again.

I'm on Linux x64, 23.0.0.10, CentOS 7.2

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 151
Re: "Never reload selected" not working in 23.0.0.10
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 02:46:22 PM »
In theory it shouldn't ask again until SlickEdit is restarted, or until the file is closed and re-opened in the editor.  Or if for some reason the buffer name somehow changed since it was marked as do-not-reload. 

I wondered at first if this was some symlink vs real path confusion, but I haven't been able to reproduce it so far.  Is the file you've got open a symlink, or a path to the real file?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 03:07:22 PM »
By constantly, about how often do you mean? I wrote a test program that appends to a file every second. So far, not seeing a problem.

rowbearto

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 05:14:48 PM »
It is not a symbolic link, it is a regular file. Buffer name is not changing.

There is a write to this log at least 1 time every 20 seconds, sometimes a little more.

I've been doing many searches on this file. One time I saw when I double clicked on a search result (I use "list all occurrences in BigFind) that it asked me if I wanted to reload. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

At the moment, the file size is 14309044 bytes.

I put my config on support as rowbearto.user.cfg.xml.

I also have 47 buffers open. I thought I had the process buffer open in an editor window, and "Send compile output to Editor window" is checked, but I don't see it there. It may have gotten closed by me at some point, not sure if that is relevant or not.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 05:17:47 PM by rowbearto »

rowbearto

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 05:53:35 PM »
Maybe relevant: the log file is on an nfs mount networked location.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 06:33:18 PM »
Still no luck with your options and an NFS mount. Other than timing, I wouldn't expect an NFS mount to change anything.

How easy is this for you to reproduce?

If you remove "static" from the definition of gDoNotReloadFiles in files.e and reload it. Then you can use "set-var gDoNotReloadFiles" to basically see what filenames are in there. The function "_cbquit_auto_reload(...)" is the only place where an entry gets cleared.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 07:26:02 PM by Clark »

rowbearto

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 01:31:41 PM »
After hitting "Never reload selected", it would seem to work but maybe 1/2 hour or hour later it would prompt me again. It then happened sporadically throughout the day. I left it running overnight and when I arrived this morning, I did not get prompted again. If it starts happening again I can try monitoring gDoNotReloadFiles.

rowbearto

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 01:42:03 PM »
After reviewing the usage of gDoNotReloadFiles in files.e - I see that if I close the file and then reopen it, that I can get warned again. I also see this from re-reading Patrick's earlier post. I think this may have been happening. In the case of this log file, if I close it and reopen it, I really do not want to be notified if it was modified outside the editor - I know that is happening and I have a bound key to refresh the file when I want to. Also I have multiple files with the same name (but different directories with the date in the directory), and I may have been getting prompted for those and gotten confused. I will monitor it more closely for the future.

Is the behavior for removing it from the list upon closing the file new for version 23? I think that in v22 if I close the file and reopened it, and if I did "Never reload selected" before closing it the first time, I would never be warned about it again. Sometimes I have too many buffers open and do a File->Close All and then later I reopen this file, so this could have been happening.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 03:24:10 PM »
v22 and v23 implement this the same way

rowbearto

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 03:42:53 PM »
OK - I think I was switching between 2 workspaces, and when I went back to my workspace with the logfile I started getting prompted again.

Would be nice to have an option to save this for the workspace to help with the situation above, or have an option to remember this setting even after the file is closed.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 05:52:56 PM »
Maybe an option to keep the setting when the file is closed. Seems like that could be the default (maybe even the only way it works).

rowbearto

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 05:55:00 PM »
Clark: That would be fine with me if the setting is always remembered even after the file is closed and it is not an option but is the default.