Author Topic: Can't cancel foreground Building Tag File ?  (Read 761 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 118
Can't cancel foreground Building Tag File ?
« on: November 15, 2018, 02:44:35 pm »
I have a workspace with 44,000 source files.

I initiated a rebuilding of the tag file in the foreground, then I realized I was doing it on the wrong workspace. I want to cancel it (can take 10-15 minutes), but pressing the "x" button in the upper right corner is not doing anything.

Tim Kemp

• Hero Points: 91
Re: Can't cancel foreground Building Tag File ?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 07:14:02 pm »
Try Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F2

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 438
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 11:42:35 pm »
The lack of a cancel button when rebuilding the workspace tag file in the foreground was an intentional decision that was put in way, way back, even before threaded background tagging existed.  The point of it was so that you would not leave your workspace tag file in a half-built state.

I am not sure if it is necessary any more, first, because most people will use background tagging which can rebuild the tag file faster, and second because if you hit cancel, then well, tough luck, you hit cancel.

I can easily put in a fix to re-enable the cancel button when rebuilding the workspace tag file.  This would mean that you could easily mistakenly leave your workspace tag file in a half-built state.  If that is the preferred consensus, then I will put that in 23.0.1.

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 118
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 04:12:49 pm »
I rarely cancel the foreground tagging but sometimes I need to, such as in the case I described where I loaded the wrong workspace and didn't realize it until after I started foreground tagging.

I fully realize that if I cancel this that my tagging would be in a half-built state and if I ever did go back I would need to re-tag. This is an acceptable limitation for me.