Author Topic: Typo Error in "hotfix.xml" of "hotfix_se1201_cumulative.zip" ?  (Read 8918 times)

mychong

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
I guess there is a typo error in the file "hotfix.xml" of "hotfix_se1201_cumulative.zip", dated 06-08-2007 (Revision 1).

Line 14:
Code: [Select]
<li> <font color="darkred"> bgsearch </font> --
    Fix issue with error markers bitmap not loading.

Shouldn't it be:
Code: [Select]
<li> <font color="darkred"> error </font> --
    Fix issue with error markers bitmap not loading.
instead?

M.Y.

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: Typo Error in "hotfix.xml" of "hotfix_se1201_cumulative.zip" ?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 01:00:48 PM »
Short answer: Yes.

Thanks for spotting that, it'll be fixed in next revision.

LBCEi

• Hero Points: 21
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 10:26:11 AM »
@Lee

Can we have a longer (i.e., more detailed) answer instead of the "Short answer"?  Is this (error markers not shown) a known issue in 12.0.1?  Error markers do not appear to be working at all when I am editing and building my C code (project based on a VC.NET solution) since I upgraded.

The set-error-markers command does not even cause the markers to appear (for build or other commands).  Next and previous error do seem to be working even though the markers don't appear.

I'm pretty sure that the error markers appeared for this project when doing "Build" in 12.0.0.   When I executed custom tools (e.g. Splint -- a lint static analysis tool), I had to execute set-error-markers and then the markers would show up.

I don't recall the error markers showing up at all (i.e., not even once) since upgrading to 12.0.1 -- even after manually executing set-error-markers -- regardless of the tool executed (Build, compile, custom command).

Please let me know if you need more info or an example.  Should this be posted as a separate issue (unrelated to the hotfix)?

Thank you
Les B

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »
The hotfix implements exactly this: http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=1585.msg6686#msg6686
(There was a problem loading the error marker icon in some cases.)
See http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=1391.msg5976#msg5976 for a method to use error markers also for custom tools.

HS2

LBCEi

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 11:51:26 AM »
Thank you for the response

I assume that when you say "the hotfix implements exactly this" (with a thread reference), that you mean (quoted from Lee's response to the referenced thread):

This workaround only address the issue of error markers not appearing in 12.0.1 release and only where they were appearing in the 12.0.0 release.

The current status of the error marking feature is that are currently only available for Build and Rebuild project commands and but only when using vsbuild for the build system (which is usually automatic for gcc projects and java projects).  It is not automatically available for the Compile command or any custom build commands, and it is also not automatically available for building associated projects (Visual Studio for example) without tweaking or workarounds.  It has been problematic making it work for all of the use cases available to SlickEdit users.  In future releases, we are looking into making it uniformly available for all project commands

Of course the issue I seem to be having is that one of the things that was working in 12.0.0 (using Visual Studio devenv instead of vsbuild) is now not working.  Lee's response does not say whether the hotfix or the workaround addresses any issues using devenv (instead of vsbuild).

I guess what I'm asking is should I download the hotfix for my copy of 12.0.1 or should I download the error_marker_workaround.e patch/workaround?  Or perhaps both?  Or will neither of these help me with this issue?

Also thanks for the hint on using error markers with custom tools.  I had seen this suggestion before but had not implemented it yet.  I'm more concerned with getting a normal "Build" to mark the errors(like it did before) and with why set-error-markers seems to do nothing regardless of the executed tool (Build, Rebuild, or custom tool).

Thanks
Les

hs2

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 12:12:31 PM »
I'd propose to download and install the official hotfix.
(BTW: I tried to say that the hotfix contains the same change/patch which was posted as workaround in the ref'd thread.)

HS2

LBCEi

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 12:34:22 PM »
I thought the point of the original post was that there was an error in the hotfix.  I also thought that the "workaround" was intended to fix the error in the hotfix.

Can I assume that installing the hotfix and then the workaround would fix the issues addressed in the hotfix as well as the problem with the error markers (or at least some of the problems with the error markers)? 

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 12:35:50 PM »
If you were able to get the error-markers to work in 12.0.0, you should work in 12.0.1 release with the cumulative hotfix (or using one of the posted workarounds).  The only change that occurred between 12.0.0 and 12.0.1 is how the bitmap that appears in the left-margin got loaded (in response to another issue), and it was unfortunately handled improperly causing the bitmap not to load and not appear in the margins. 

The message about error-markers in the other thread still stands true.  The error-markers are only available when using vsbuild, and only for Build and Rebuild project tool commands by default.  Several users have worked out a way to make them work for them with some customization to their build steps.  We do want to make available any and all project tool thats has parse-able output, but that will require some reorganization and reworking of the project tool and build system.

LBCEi

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 12:48:02 PM »
OK

Does that mean that the "typo" described in the original post on this thread does not affect the behavior of the error markers?  What does it affect?

Do I need only the hotfix or the hotfix and the "workaround" macro? 

As far as vsbuild vs. devenv -- doesn't SE invoke devenv from vsbuild?  Therefore, shouldn't the error markers work for Build and Rebuild on Visual Studio projects?  I thought it was working in the past.

Thank you

hs2

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 12:55:05 PM »
The typo is just a typo only appearíng in the hotfix description text. It doesn't affect anything else.
Try to install the hotfix. It fixes the problem that the error marker are/were not visible as Lee mentioned. Works for me.
Yes, devenv is invoked via vsbuild. Error markers should appear for 'Build'/'Rebuild' VS projects after installing the hotfix.

HS2

PS: Sorry, if my prev. posts were a bit confusing. I know my english is not the very best...

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 01:06:40 PM »
Either the workaround posted or the cumulative 12.0.1 hotfix will make sure the error-marker bitmaps load.

And actually, for Visual Studio projects, the default action is to invoke devenv directly in the Process buffer shell (Build window) without having to invoke vsbuild.  (hero point-1 for hs2, ;)).  There are several situations where build tools are just invoked into process shell without vsbuild, it's partly the reason we are having trouble making the error markers uniformly available.

hs2

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 01:12:43 PM »
 :o - you're right Lee ! Seems that it's not my day ...

HS2

LBCEi

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 04:54:13 PM »
Thanks to Lee and hs2 for the help.

Installing the hotfix and making sure that Verbose output is checked in the Project Properties dialog Tools tab made the error markers show up again as they used to do.