Author Topic: Can't use a tool bar on a floating window  (Read 2269 times)

jorick

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 17
Can't use a tool bar on a floating window
« on: November 13, 2018, 01:39:47 PM »
If I have a floating window, I can't use a toolbar on it.  For example, if I try to make the font larger with the magnifying glass with the +, the font will get larger in one of the child windows but not in the floating window.  Same with trying to find text.  I select the text to find in the floating window, then click the Find and Replace icon, and the box is filled with text from one of the child windows instead.  If the window is modified, I can't save it.  Clicking the save icon does nothing.  If the window is a C file, attempting to compile it will compile a file in a child window instead.

In short, if I pull a window out, I can't do anything with it at all.  Well, except type in it.  At least it allows me to do that.

SlickEdit Pro 2018 (v23.0.0.11 64-bit)

Serial number: [redacted]
Licensed number of users: Single user
License file: C:\ProgramData\slickedit\23\slickedit.lic

Build Date: October 30, 2018
Emulation: CodeWright

OS Version: 6.01.7601  Service Pack 1
Memory: 56% Load, 16231MB/28577MB Physical, 18830MB/57152MB Page File, 863MB/8388607MB Virtual
Shell Information: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /q
Screen Size: 1680 x 1048, 1680 x 1050, 1920 x 1200, 1680 x 1050, 1680 x 1050

Project Type: Cpp
Language: .lst (Plain Text)
Encoding: Automatic

Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\SlickEdit Pro 23.0.0\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,79399MB free)
Configuration Directory: C:\Users\rbennet\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\23.0.0\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,79399MB free)
Migrated from: C:\Users\rbennet\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\22.0.2\

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
Re: Can't use a tool bar on a floating window
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 02:37:50 PM »
Long term plan is to support toolbars docked on floating windows. 

You can zoom-in/zoom-out the font in Codewright emulation with Ctrl+Shift++/Ctrl+-

b

• Hero Points: 26
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 05:19:54 PM »
This has bothered me as I similarly have a floating window to take advantage of dual monitors.   I have found that I need to use the traditional Windows hot keys to get at menu items if I want to manipulate from the floating window (E.g., Alt-F to get the file menu and then I can use arrow keys to get at the desired option to affect the floating window).   However, as you have discovered, you can't use the mouse as the focus changes back to the main window.

jorick

• Hero Points: 17
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 06:23:13 PM »
So there's no way of keeping track of which window or buffer has focus and operating on that window/buffer if a toolbar button is clicked or a menu item is selected?

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 03:09:37 AM »
You can create your own toolwindow and dock it in a floating window and put some buttons on it that will operate on the floating buffer.

You can also create a popup menu that will operate on the active buffer and in the floating window you can use the slickedit command line to do commands on the active buffer.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 07:11:17 AM »
So there's no way of keeping track of which window or buffer has focus and operating on that window/buffer if a toolbar button is clicked or a menu item is selected?

I can't reproduce any of the problems reported in this thread.  If I have a floating edit buffer that is active, the toolbar buttons and menus in the main mdi window all operate on the floating edit buffer that has focus, including the plus minus zoom icons.  I'm using 23.0.0.11 on Win 10.
Try running slick on a new empty config and see what happens
vs.exe +new -sc some-empty-folder

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 01:50:48 PM »
I reproduced these issues. I might have had to have a window open in the main MDI window.